Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
KidTech KidTech is offline

Default Saving As freezes office Word,Excel, Powerpoint..etc

Hello,

I have a problem I have never come across with Windows. Any time I
open a Word, Excel, or Powerpoint my office application hangs for a
couple of seconds (10-15 secs) It only does this when saving to a
network drive. I would fault this to the network but it just so
happens that this only happens on one computer on the network and that
is this particular PC.

This PC is running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 SP3 (all freshly
installed) with ALL the latest patches. There are no addins to worry
about or suspicious software intalled as it is only use to view Email,
create Excel documets and view some Powerpoint presentation.

Is it a bad MS patch I am not aware of?

Help Please!

Thanks

-AC
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Check to ensure that all drive mapping on that computer is valid and that
there are no legacy dead mappings.

Terry Farrell

"KidTech" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a problem I have never come across with Windows. Any time I
open a Word, Excel, or Powerpoint my office application hangs for a
couple of seconds (10-15 secs) It only does this when saving to a
network drive. I would fault this to the network but it just so
happens that this only happens on one computer on the network and that
is this particular PC.

This PC is running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 SP3 (all freshly
installed) with ALL the latest patches. There are no addins to worry
about or suspicious software intalled as it is only use to view Email,
create Excel documets and view some Powerpoint presentation.

Is it a bad MS patch I am not aware of?

Help Please!

Thanks

-AC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
KidTech KidTech is offline

"KidTech" wrote in message

Hello,

I have a problem I have never come across with Windows. Any time I
open a Word, Excel, or Powerpoint my office application hangs for a
couple of seconds (10-15 secs) It only does this when saving to a
network drive. I would fault this to the network but it just so
happens that this only happens on one computer on the network and that
is this particular PC.

This PC is running Windows XP SP3 *and Office 2003 SP3 (all freshly
installed) with ALL the latest patches. There are no addins to worry
about or suspicious software intalled as it is only use to view Email,
create Excel documets and view some Powerpoint presentation.

Is it a bad MS patch I am not aware of?

Help Please!

Thanks

-AC

The mappings are all correct and working properly. This only happens
with Office...if i were to save as with any other app on any network
drive this will not happend but as soon as I open any MS Office
application and try to save as and start typing the name of the the
file to save as it hangs for about 15 seconds the cursor then
reappears and as soon as you type again it disappears. Eventually you
are able to save a document but it just takes that much more time to
save.

-Kidtech

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Start Word in Safe Mode and test saving to the network. From Start, Run,
type in

winword /a

and press enter. Open a new blank document, type a few words and then test
saving to the network. What happens?

Terry