Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zeyn zeyn is offline

Default grammar check doesn't detect mistakes and occupies 90% of CPU

When I switch on the "check grammar" the Word starts to check the grammer and
never ends an occupies 90% of CPU.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

If your grammar is as bad as your spelling, no wonder!

"zeyn" wrote in message
When I switch on the "check grammar" the Word starts to check the grammer
and
never ends an occupies 90% of CPU.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?emV5bg==?=,

When I switch on the "check grammar" the Word starts to check the grammer and
never ends an occupies 90% of CPU.

Which version of Word do you have?

Something is almost certainly damaged, and there are trouble-shooting steps. But
in order to know which ones, we need the version information.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zeyn zeyn is offline

Dear Cindy;
I'm using WOrd 2000

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?emV5bg==?=,

When I switch on the "check grammar" the Word starts to check the grammer and
never ends an occupies 90% of CPU.

Which version of Word do you have?

Something is almost certainly damaged, and there are trouble-shooting steps. But
in order to know which ones, we need the version information.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?emV5bg==?=,

I'm using WOrd 2000

OK. START/Run. Type: winword.exe /a

This will start Word in "Safe Mode" (means it's going to look funny!). In the new
document that appears, test the grammar checker behavior. Do you still get the
problems, or does it work more or less as it ought? (Meaning it doesn't run up the
CPU - we can't do anything about what it says :-))

When I switch on the "check grammar" the Word starts to check the grammer and
never ends an occupies 90% of CPU.

Which version of Word do you have?

Something is almost certainly damaged, and there are trouble-shooting steps. But
in order to know which ones, we need the version information.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zeyn zeyn is offline

Cindy thanks for the quick reply
I tried as your instruction, nut I didn't see any improvement.
I guess I gotta reinstall my Word

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?emV5bg==?=,

I tried as your instruction, nut I didn't see any improvement.
I guess I gotta reinstall my Word

You may not need to remove the entire application, just the proofing tools.

First, search your drive for the folder where the *.lex files are kept. You want to be
able to double-check whether the proofing tools are removed.

Use Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and choose a "Change" type of setup. Keep
telling setup you want to "Change" or "Customize" the setup until you get into a screen
with a hierarchical "tree" of apps and tools. Under "Office Shared" (something like that)
you should find an entry for "Proofing tools" and under that, each of the supported
languages that come with you version of Word/Office. Open the one for "English" and make
sure all the tools (spelling, grammar, thesaurus) are set to "Not available". Then let
set up run. This should remove the tools, but check back in the folder if the *.lex and
*.dll file have been removed.

Now run setup again, this time setting the tools to "Run from my computer". With any
luck, this will fix the problem.

I'm using WOrd 2000

OK. START/Run. Type: winword.exe /a

This will start Word in "Safe Mode" (means it's going to look funny!). In the new
document that appears, test the grammar checker behavior. Do you still get the
problems, or does it work more or less as it ought? (Meaning it doesn't run up the
CPU - we can't do anything about what it says :-))

When I switch on the "check grammar" the Word starts to check the grammer and
never ends an occupies 90% of CPU.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zeyn zeyn is offline

Thanks Cindy
Sorry I couldnt follow you.
In Add/Remove Programs, when I select Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1
(professional) and click on change, I get Microsoft Office 2000 Maintenance
Mode which asks me to insert CD.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?emV5bg==?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?emV5bg==?=,

Sorry I couldnt follow you.
In Add/Remove Programs, when I select Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1
(professional) and click on change, I get Microsoft Office 2000 Maintenance
Mode which asks me to insert CD.

OK, then you need to insert a CD...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zeyn zeyn is offline

Cindy;
Many thanks for the previous solution!
I was in a long vacation and just got back
I have another problem with my Word files.
Some of Word files get frozen and stop at the first page, when I open them
and they never respond and I have to kill the process. So far to overcome the
issue I right click on the file name and make another New file and then I can
see the doc.
Do you know the reason and solution?
Thanks in advance!