Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
witchiep00h

Default suddenly not able to insert an excel file into a word document

someone at work has been inserting excel files into word docs, but over the
past couple weeks this has stopped working. it doesnt seem to be able to
find anyway to open the excel doc. at one point, it kept saying a converter
was needed, but tried downloading that, and it still didnt help! any ideas?
i cant find any pc's here that will allow what she has been doing for years.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CHRIS

normally, when you open Word, you must see at the Tool bar the sign of a
board with the excel mark on it. If you cant see it, try the €śAdd more
buttons€ť options. (at least thats what I am doing when using Word 2000.)
Hope that was useful to you!

"witchiep00h" wrote:

someone at work has been inserting excel files into word docs, but over the
past couple weeks this has stopped working. it doesnt seem to be able to
find anyway to open the excel doc. at one point, it kept saying a converter
was needed, but tried downloading that, and it still didnt help! any ideas?
i cant find any pc's here that will allow what she has been doing for years.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
witchiep00h

Thanks that was a good guess, but it still doesn't fix the problem. She is
going in thru "INSERT" then selecting "FILE", then chooses the excel doc to
insert, but then a screen comes up saying "Select the encoding that makes
your document readable. Text encoding: Windows (Default), MS_DOS, Other
encoding." and all the text from the spreadsheet shows up as little boxes
and Ys and other gibberish...no matter which choice i make. On one pc, i get
a message that says to install a converter from MS Office 2000, but the
others go straight to this box of gibberish! ANY IDEAS????!!!!!!!

"witchiep00h" wrote:

someone at work has been inserting excel files into word docs, but over the
past couple weeks this has stopped working. it doesnt seem to be able to
find anyway to open the excel doc. at one point, it kept saying a converter
was needed, but tried downloading that, and it still didnt help! any ideas?
i cant find any pc's here that will allow what she has been doing for years.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CHRIS

Well, to be honest I cant figure it out€¦It looks like she has entered a
protection code or something€¦ You can still try this; open the excel file you
want to insert into your word document, select copy and then paste to the
document. Its not the best solution and probably the excel file will need
some kind of modification to €śfit€ť into the word document, but I suppose it
is a temporary way to do your work until we find the answer!

"witchiep00h" wrote:

someone at work has been inserting excel files into word docs, but over the
past couple weeks this has stopped working. it doesnt seem to be able to
find anyway to open the excel doc. at one point, it kept saying a converter
was needed, but tried downloading that, and it still didnt help! any ideas?
i cant find any pc's here that will allow what she has been doing for years.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CHRIS

Ive been thinking€¦ you wrote that you tried to download a converter and
still didnt work out. Was it Excel32.cnv? Usually, text converters are
already in the PC. Go to C/ Program Files/ Common Files/Microsoft Shared/
Textconv. Do you see that converter there? If not, maybe thats the problem.
Give me an email address where I can send you my converter. Remember though
that I use Windows 98 Second Edition and Word 2000. If you use something
else, it might not be compatible, but still you have nothing to lose. If you
are a Mac user, then there is a specific procedure to activate the converter,
so let me know. Sorry that I dont have any more ideas! Ive been trying all
morning with my Excel files, tried all options, but it works fine at my PC,
so I cant think of anything really smart!

"witchiep00h" wrote:

someone at work has been inserting excel files into word docs, but over the
past couple weeks this has stopped working. it doesnt seem to be able to
find anyway to open the excel doc. at one point, it kept saying a converter
was needed, but tried downloading that, and it still didnt help! any ideas?
i cant find any pc's here that will allow what she has been doing for years.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
witchiep00h

You can get this to work???? I cant find a pc over here that will let me do
this now for some reason. I did go look for that excel converter, but I
don't seem to have it. If you could send it to , that
would be great. The file wont have any viruses will it? this is for work
and I really dont want to upset the security folks! i wish this would let me
show a screen shot of what i'm getting...this is soooo frustrating!

thanks for ALL your help!!!!