Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

Default Lighter shade of grey for fields?

Is there way that I can set a lighter shade of grey for fields?

When I move the cursor into a table of contents, for example, the grey
is so dark that my old eyes can barely read the entries. I would like
to lightened it up several shades.

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LurfysMa LurfysMa is offline

On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:35:42 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

No, this is not possible, but you don't have to have shading enabled for
fields.

In case anyone cares, that can be done via:

Office button (Alt+F)
Word options (at bottom or Alt+I)
Advanced option (I thought menus were gone...)
Show document content section (3rd)
Field shading (set to "Never")

I guess the geniuses at MSFT were so busy designing ribbons and moving
options around that they didn't have time to allow a lighter shade of
grey. I bet I can get a large number of people to agre that it is way
too dark.

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You can use a macro such as the following:

Dim tocf As Field
For Each tocf In ActiveDocument.Fields
If tocf.Type = wdFieldTOC Then
tocf.Select
Selection.Range.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorGray10
' Selection.Range.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor = wdColorAutomatic
End If
Next tocf

To remove the shading, uncomment the line that ends in wdColorAutomatic

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote:

No, this is not possible, but you don't have to have shading enabled for
fields.

In case anyone cares, that can be done via:

Office button (Alt+F)
Word options (at bottom or Alt+I)
Advanced option (I thought menus were gone...)
Show document content section (3rd)
Field shading (set to "Never")

I guess the geniuses at MSFT were so busy designing ribbons and moving
options around that they didn't have time to allow a lighter shade of
grey. I bet I can get a large number of people to agre that it is way
too dark.

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Advanced option (I thought menus were gone...)

Yes. If Ribbons are the future, why is there a Quick Access Toolbar that we
can customise instead of a Quick Access Ribbon that we can customise?

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

FWIW... the shading isn't any darker in Word 2007 than it was in Word 2003
and earlier. I have terrible vision, but found the field shading to be too
dark only once -- and that was on a laptop computer on which the contract
and brightness were maladjusted. After making a slight adjustment, the text
in shaded fields was a lot more readable. Or, to paraphrase Eleanor
Roosevelt, It is better to adjust the brightness and contrast than to curse
the darkness. ;-)

As always, of course, YMMV...

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

wrote:

No, this is not possible, but you don't have to have shading enabled for
fields.

In case anyone cares, that can be done via:

Office button (Alt+F)
Word options (at bottom or Alt+I)
Advanced option (I thought menus were gone...)
Show document content section (3rd)
Field shading (set to "Never")

I guess the geniuses at MSFT were so busy designing ribbons and moving
options around that they didn't have time to allow a lighter shade of
grey. I bet I can get a large number of people to agre that it is way
too dark.

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Interesting: I had thought "It is better to light a candle than to curse the
darkness" was biblical. Although Google does turn up cites for Eleanor
Roosevelt, most sources call it a Chinese proverb.

wrote:

No, this is not possible, but you don't have to have shading enabled for
fields.

In case anyone cares, that can be done via:

Office button (Alt+F)
Word options (at bottom or Alt+I)
Advanced option (I thought menus were gone...)
Show document content section (3rd)
Field shading (set to "Never")

I guess the geniuses at MSFT were so busy designing ribbons and moving
options around that they didn't have time to allow a lighter shade of
grey. I bet I can get a large number of people to agre that it is way
too dark.

--
Office 2007 Pro on WinXP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Eleanor was fond of saying it, but never claimed credit as far as I can
tell. However, since she's the one from whom I learned it, I always give her
credit. I'll bet there are a lot of other Chinese proverbs that Eleanor
Roosevelt wrote, as well. ;-)

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Interesting: I had thought "It is better to light a candle than to curse
the
darkness" was biblical. Although Google does turn up cites for Eleanor
Roosevelt, most sources call it a Chinese proverb.

so
all may benefit.