Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sweet Sue Sweet is offline

Default changing the font autotext

We are changing our font for all documentation from a font that no one else
has back to Times New Roman. I have a million autotext entries. I have 2
questions. 1. Is there a way to print out the entire list of my autotext
entries?
2. Is there a way to change all of the entries at once or do I have to do
them one at a time?

Thank you for your help.

Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Sue Sweet wrote:
We are changing our font for all documentation from a font that no
one else has back to Times New Roman. I have a million autotext
entries. I have 2 questions. 1. Is there a way to print out the
entire list of my autotext entries?
2. Is there a way to change all of the entries at once or do I have
to do them one at a time?

Thank you for your help.

Sue

I have two utilities at http://jay-freedman.info that will help you (as long
as you aren't using Word 2007).

The AutoTextDumper.zip file contains a template with a macro that extracts
all the current AutoText entries and puts them into a table in a new
document. The document includes the name and contents of each entry.

In the document, change the font.

Then use the macro in the template from the AutoTextLoader2.zip file to load
the revised entries back into Normal.dot or another template.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sweet Sue Sweet is offline

I found your website and downloaded both the dumper and the loader. When I
open loader I get to the box that asks which template file and I choose the
Normal.dot and then I a Winword.exe error and Words shuts down.

I am running MS Word2000

Thanks,
Sue

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Sue Sweet wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I can run both the dumper and the loader in Word 2003 without any problems.
I'll have to wait until this evening to get to a Word 2000 installation to
try them there.

To clarify: it's the loader that causes the problem, not the dumper,
correct? Do you have the document containing the table full of entries? Do
any of them contain anything other than text (tables, graphics, etc.)?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Sue Sweet wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue Sweet Sue Sweet is offline

No it is the dumper, I haven't tried the loader yet.

Will the loader delete the entries in the list and replace it with the ones
in the table or will it simply edit the ones that match the table?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Sue Sweet wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It will replace existing ones with the same name and add any new ones, but
it won't delete any.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Sue Sweet wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Sue,

Not yet. It's a long story... I had an installation of Office 2000 in a
virtual machine, which I don't use very often. When I tried to use it last
week, the virtual machine file was corrupted. I made a new VM, but its
networking (which it uses to communicate with the physical machine's shared
drive) has so far refused to connect, so I haven't been able to reload the
applications. Then I was away for the weekend.

I haven't forgotten you! I'm trying to get this thing to work, really I am.

Jay