Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim

Default Problem in outline format

In outline format, hitting tab to go to the next level only puts a tab in,
but does not take me to the next level. Hitting shift tab should also take me
back one level, but that also just puts a tab in place. Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Try Tools--Options, Edit tab. Make sure "tabs and backspace set left
indent" is checked.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Kim" wrote in message
In outline format, hitting tab to go to the next level only puts a tab in,
but does not take me to the next level. Hitting shift tab should also take
me
back one level, but that also just puts a tab in place. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim

When I go to Tools-options-edit, there is no "tabs and backspace set left
indent". Would it be somewhere else? Thanks, Kim

"Kim" wrote in message
In outline format, hitting tab to go to the next level only puts a tab in,
but does not take me to the next level. Hitting shift tab should also take
me
back one level, but that also just puts a tab in place. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

In Word 97 and 2000, click on Tools | Options | Edit | check the
"Tabs and backspace set left indent" box | OK.

In Word 2002 and 2003, click on Tools | AutoCorrect Options |
AutoFormat As You Type | check the "Set left- and first-indent
with tabs and backspaces" box | OK.

"Kim" wrote in message

In outline format, hitting tab to go to the next level only puts a tab in,
but does not take me to the next level. Hitting shift tab should also take
me
back one level, but that also just puts a tab in place. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kim

Thank you all for your help. This just saved me a lot of time and
frustration. Thanks again, Kim

"Kim" wrote in message

In outline format, hitting tab to go to the next level only puts a tab in,
but does not take me to the next level. Hitting shift tab should also take
me
back one level, but that also just puts a tab in place. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

Thanks, GnO. Didn't check if newer versions were different.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Kim" wrote in message

In outline format, hitting tab to go to the next level only puts a tab
in,
but does not take me to the next level. Hitting shift tab should also
take me
back one level, but that also just puts a tab in place. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lindsay Werb Lindsay Werb is offline

Hey,
I am having the same problem but I have Word 2004- any advice on how to fix
it? I dont have that button in my auto-correct tab. PLEASE HELP.

"Kim" wrote in message

In outline format, hitting tab to go to the next level only puts a tab
in,
but does not take me to the next level. Hitting shift tab should also
take me
back one level, but that also just puts a tab in place. Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Lindsay,

Word 2004 means you are on a Mac--that option is under Word |
Preferences | Edit.

It's good for Mac users to ask on Mac groups--see here for
Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel, and other
MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups