Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Default automatically enter two spaces after a full stop

This might sound like a strange question but I want to have two spaces after
my full stops. Is there a way I can automatically enter two spaces without
haveing to manually press the spacebar twice?
--
Jackie D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Hello Suzanne

Just a few seconds ago I managed to do this using the Auto Correct function.
Now each time I hit a full stop the cursor jumps two spaces. Perfect.
--
Jackie D

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
This might sound like a strange question but I want to have two spaces

after
my full stops. Is there a way I can automatically enter two spaces without
haveing to manually press the spacebar twice?
--
Jackie D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You'll get two spaces after every abbreviation. I think it would be better
to just get in the habit of pressing the spacebar twice when necessary
(though most of us would not consider it necessary unless you're using a
monospaced font) than to have to press Ctrl+Z to correct the false
corrections.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hello Suzanne

Just a few seconds ago I managed to do this using the Auto Correct

function.
Now each time I hit a full stop the cursor jumps two spaces. Perfect.
--
Jackie D

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
This might sound like a strange question but I want to have two spaces

after
my full stops. Is there a way I can automatically enter two spaces

without
haveing to manually press the spacebar twice?
--
Jackie D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Jackie -

Just an extension of the point that Suzanne is so politely making - and
*please* don't take this at all personally - what you are asking for is an
arcane throwback to the manual typewriter. It is not only unnecessary with
the current software technology, but is also considered inappropriate to use
two spaces between sentences. Doing so also has the potential of
complicating - rather than enhancing - readability, as well as causing other
text flow issues.

Well-trained typists are accustomed to using the technique in order to avoid
crowding in manually typed documents, but the crowding is rare any more due
to the proportionally-spaced fonts we use - accurate spacing is set for us
based on typesetting standards. In the few instances where the result is not
what might be preferable there are better & more precise methods of
adjustment, rather than arbitrarily using the two-space technique
religiously "just in case".

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac