Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RoS RoS is offline

Default margin sizing

I want to re-label my surviving video cassette collection. This job has
been hanging around for 9 years and MUST be done!

The spine panel on a cassette measures 150mm x 20mm. For economy I want to
print in landscape using 2 columns per page. I'll cut out each label and
stick them on. The A4 label sheet product I have is pre-cut to 289.1 x
199.6. I had hoped the sheets would be the full A4 size of 297 x 210 (but
why should label manufacturers help to simplify a job?) Clearly I must
reduce the width of the labels to less than 144.55mm. I don't want to go
smaller than 140mm wide label, but either Word 2003 or my printer - an HP
deskjet 930c, or both, are causing problems when it comes to setting the
side margin sizes of 8.5mm, the absolute maximum permissible to achieve a
row of two 140mm labels in A4 landscape.

I want to be able to set a maximum margin of about 5mm for both the left
margin and right margin. At the moment the left margin can be set and stays
at 5mm but the right margin will not accept this setting. It is defaulting
repeatedly to 11.7mm (1.17cm), even though I am telling it to "fix" the r/h
margin at 0.5cm (or 0.6, 0.8 etc).

Does anyone know how I can set the smaller margins I need?

Tia

Ros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I'm afraid you're dealing with a limitation of your printer, not Word. Most
printers have a minimum margin requirement on at least one edge in order to
be able to draw the paper through... Even those that are advertised as
capable of "borderless" output. They are designed to print borderless on
photos (5x7 or smaller) but can't do edge-to-edge on larger pages. If any
kind of "workaround" is available it may be hidden in the User Guide for
your printer or on the HP web site.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/12/07 7:38 PM, in article , "RoS"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
RoS RoS is offline

Hi,

I'd just about reached that conclusion too. Interestingly, the file prints
perfectly on my office printer (and this might be the practical solution),
pointing to the HP930C as being the problem. More confusingly, the edge
which first emerges on the 930C has a 0.5cm visible margin; it's the
trailing edge, which cannot be affected by the need to draw the paper
through, which has the missing margin!

I've contacted HP's support dept to see if there's a work around.

Incidentally my Epson R800 prints beautiful marginless photographs on A4 -
not a glimmer of a margin anywhere. But the R800 costs an arm and a leg in
ink and is confined strictly to photo output!
Ros

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

snip
Incidentally my Epson R800 prints beautiful marginless photographs on A4 -
not a glimmer of a margin anywhere. But the R800 costs an arm and a leg in
ink and is confined strictly to photo output!

snip

Ain't it the truth?... On *both* counts! But my R800 does one of the best
jobs I've ever seen for just about everything I ask of it.

As far as the HP - what happens if you tell it you're printing on Photo
paper rather than regular stock? Sometimes you can fake a printer into
thinking it's printing a photo in order to get a full bleed.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/15/07 12:22 AM, in article , "RoS"
wrote:

Hi,

I'd just about reached that conclusion too. Interestingly, the file prints
perfectly on my office printer (and this might be the practical solution),
pointing to the HP930C as being the problem. More confusingly, the edge
which first emerges on the 930C has a 0.5cm visible margin; it's the
trailing edge, which cannot be affected by the need to draw the paper
through, which has the missing margin!

I've contacted HP's support dept to see if there's a work around.

Incidentally my Epson R800 prints beautiful marginless photographs on A4 -
not a glimmer of a margin anywhere. But the R800 costs an arm and a leg in
ink and is confined strictly to photo output!
Ros

table column sizing Nathan Franklin Tables 2 January 27th 06 10:02 AM
Cell sizing Libby Tables 1 January 25th 06 05:40 PM
Re-Sizing Frames Ryan Microsoft Word Help 1 September 21st 05 03:58 PM
Picture sizing Maxemily Microsoft Word Help 0 June 25th 05 11:07 PM
Picture sizing Maxemily Microsoft Word Help 1 June 25th 05 04:44 PM