perro apaleao

Default Comments: single insertion point instead of brackets?

Is there a way to insert a comment in Word 2003 and have it displayed with
just a single insertion point in the text rather than bracketed, highlighted
text? Sometimes I just want to put a comment in before or after a word, but
Word 2003 always seems to want to highlight the nearest word to the comment.
Is there a way to avoid that without adding a lot of extraneous spaces in the
text? I know that other versions of Word used a single insertion point
unless the user selected the text and then inserted a comment for the
selected text.

Thanks much.
Shauna Kelly

Hi Perro

Up to and including Word 2000, if no text was selected, and you did Insert
Comment, Word would automatically select the current word, and attach the
comment to that. In Word 2002, the behaviour changed. If no text was
selected and you did Insert Comment, Word would attach the comment to no
space at all. Generally, users didn't like it because it makes it very hard
to see where the comment is. So in Word 2003, the behaviour went back to the
old behaviour, which suited most users.

In Word 2003, you can still attach a comment to one character (even just a
space). Select it and then do Insert Comment.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word