Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Malcolm H Malcolm H is offline

Default Vertical text question

I am trying to create a template to print CD inlays* but have failed to
discover how to print text rotated by 90 deg for the edges of the inlay. The
text box feature does not allow rotation.

Ideas anyone?

* A CD inlay is a single page inserted into the back of a CD box. It has
three sections namely a central area 13.7 x 11.7 cm for the back of the box
plus two areas 0.5 x 11.7 cm contiguous with the central area for text
visible on the edges of the CD box.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Malcolm H" wrote in message
I am trying to create a template to print CD inlays* but have failed to
discover how to print text rotated by 90 deg for the edges of the inlay.
The text box feature does not allow rotation.

Ideas anyone?

* A CD inlay is a single page inserted into the back of a CD box. It has
three sections namely a central area 13.7 x 11.7 cm for the back of the
box plus two areas 0.5 x 11.7 cm contiguous with the central area for text
visible on the edges of the CD box.

Thanks.

p.s. I am using Word 2000 and WinXP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a three cell table in which you can rotate the text, but Word would not
be my tool of choice for this task. Publisher is better, if you have it, but
if you are serious about creating CD covers, you should look at Surething CD
Labelling software which is first class. If you have Nero as your CD writing
software, it includes Cover Designer, a neat labelling application (though
it is nowhere near as easy to use as Surething).

Malcolm H wrote:
I am trying to create a template to print CD inlays* but have failed
to discover how to print text rotated by 90 deg for the edges of the
inlay. The text box feature does not allow rotation.

Ideas anyone?

* A CD inlay is a single page inserted into the back of a CD box. It
has three sections namely a central area 13.7 x 11.7 cm for the back
of the box plus two areas 0.5 x 11.7 cm contiguous with the central
area for text visible on the edges of the CD box.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Did you try Format | Text Direction?

If you want more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/drwgrphcs/upsidedowntext.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Malcolm H" wrote in message
I am trying to create a template to print CD inlays* but have failed

discover how to print text rotated by 90 deg for the edges of the

inlay. The
text box feature does not allow rotation.

Ideas anyone?

* A CD inlay is a single page inserted into the back of a CD box. It

has
three sections namely a central area 13.7 x 11.7 cm for the back of

the box
plus two areas 0.5 x 11.7 cm contiguous with the central area for

text
visible on the edges of the CD box.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Malcolm H Malcolm H is offline

Thank you Graham. I am trying to use a table, the problem I have is
centering the text in the edge cells. The cells are only 0.5cm x 11.7 cm and
I cannot centre the text vertically within the cell (I am using the word
vertical to mean at 90 deg. to the text direction i.e. the 0.5cm direction).
Only about half of the cell in this direction seems to be available for
text.

Malcolm H wrote:
I am trying to create a template to print CD inlays* but have failed
to discover how to print text rotated by 90 deg for the edges of the
inlay. The text box feature does not allow rotation.

Ideas anyone?

* A CD inlay is a single page inserted into the back of a CD box. It
has three sections namely a central area 13.7 x 11.7 cm for the back
of the box plus two areas 0.5 x 11.7 cm contiguous with the central
area for text visible on the edges of the CD box.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Check the cell internal margins - and use CTRL+E to centre text. - I did say
Word was a poor application for CD box labels!

Malcolm H wrote:
I am trying to create a template to print CD inlays* but have failed
to discover how to print text rotated by 90 deg for the edges of the
inlay. The text box feature does not allow rotation.

Ideas anyone?

* A CD inlay is a single page inserted into the back of a CD box. It
has three sections namely a central area 13.7 x 11.7 cm for the back
of the box plus two areas 0.5 x 11.7 cm contiguous with the central
area for text visible on the edges of the CD box.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Malcolm H Malcolm H is offline

Brilliant! thank you again Graham, not easy to do but an interesting
challenge.

I will take a look at Surething when I have a moment on your recommendation.

Thanks again

Malcolm

Vertical Text Chris Jones Page Layout 3 September 25th 06 11:06 AM
changing vertical text to horiznial text tabtom1 Microsoft Word Help 1 August 24th 06 01:23 AM
Vertical text katy New Users 2 September 13th 05 03:52 AM
Vertical Text Cattie Microsoft Word Help 1 February 1st 05 06:46 PM
Can I change the vertical alignment of text in a text box? Fien Page Layout 2 November 25th 04 03:47 PM