Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John9210 John9210 is offline

Default Numbered lists

Is there a way in Word 2007 to change the default indent for bulleted and
numbered lists?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

On the Home tab, click the Multilevel List button, and then click Define New
List Style. In this dialog box, you can set the desired number format for
each level. For more control, click the Format button, and then click
Numbering, where you can set indents and attach paragraph styles to the
various levels.

When you have created a list style, you can apply it to text from the
Multilevel List button (choose the list style name in the List Styles
category).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John9210" wrote in message
Is there a way in Word 2007 to change the default indent for bulleted and
numbered lists?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

Does this mean that you must set up a new List style for every different
indentation variation (0", .5" 1.0", etc) for multilevel lists in one
document or different indents in different documents? OR
Is there a way to change the default indent on a whole Multilevel list
(Bulleted or Numbered) in a new document. When I open the style to modify it,
the type is not 'list' and I cannot change the indents.
--
Dave Robinson

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

On the Home tab, click the Multilevel List button, and then click Define New
List Style. In this dialog box, you can set the desired number format for

"John9210" wrote in message
Is there a way in Word 2007 to change the default indent for bulleted and
numbered lists?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

No, each list style has nine levels of numbering, each of which can have its
own indentation settings. (You can change the settings via Modify Style,
Format, Numbering. Make sure to click the More button so that you can see
all the options in the dialog box.)

To choose a different level in a numbered text paragraph, use Home tab |
Multilevel List | Change List Level, or use the Increase Indent/Decrease
Indent buttons on the Home tab, or use Alt+Shift+Left/Right arrow.

Just like other styles, you can copy a created list style to other documents
or templates, which makes it easy to reuse it. To copy a style, press
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S. In the Styles pane, click Manage Styles. Click
Import/Export to display the Organizer dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

On the Home tab, click the Multilevel List button, and then click Define
New
List Style. In this dialog box, you can set the desired number format for

"John9210" wrote in message
Is there a way in Word 2007 to change the default indent for bulleted
and
numbered lists?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

Stefan: Thanks so much for your response.

I am so frustrated with Word 2007. I am very familiar with creating and
using styles in Word 2003, following Shana Kelly's advise, but I am still
confused with styles in 2007.

When I modify a Multilevel style in the Styles Pane, the type is Paragraph,
and the List type is not an option, like it is when creating a style.
Therefore I do not have access to change the indenting of the list. If I
change the indent, it only appplies to Level 1. Level 2-9 remain indented as
originally defined and I cannot change it.

I am also confused by the new MultiLevel "List Library" and "List Styles"
that appear to be different from the Styles Pane List. What is th difference
between the Styles in the Styles Pane, the List Library and List styles? And
more importantly, when should each be used? Maybe I am just not using these
3 functions correctly.

For my job, I must create documents that have multiple (200+) Multilevel
Level Numbered and bulleted Lists (all starting with 1). Often one or more
of the Multilievel lists must be indented further than (or less than) the
rest. How do I do this? I am going nuts trying to do this in 2007.

--
Dave Robinson

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

On the Home tab, click the Multilevel List button, and then click Define
New
List Style. In this dialog box, you can set the desired number format for

"John9210" wrote in message
Is there a way in Word 2007 to change the default indent for bulleted
and
numbered lists?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Dave Robinson" wrote in message
Stefan: Thanks so much for your response.

I am so frustrated with Word 2007. I am very familiar with creating and
using styles in Word 2003, following Shana Kelly's advise, but I am still
confused with styles in 2007.

Well, there's certainly a learning curve...

When I modify a Multilevel style in the Styles Pane, the type is
Paragraph,
and the List type is not an option, like it is when creating a style.
Therefore I do not have access to change the indenting of the list. If I
change the indent, it only appplies to Level 1. Level 2-9 remain indented
as
originally defined and I cannot change it.

Yes, this is a big difference in Word 2007: you can no longer use the Modify
Style dialog box for a *paragraph* style to edit a multilevel
(outline-numbered) list. Instead, you have to modify the list style or, for
a list which was not created via a list style, by placing the insertion
point in a top-level numbered item and then clicking Home tab | Multilevel
List | Define New Multilevel List. You can still see any attached paragraph
styles by clicking the More button in the Define New Multilevel List dialog
box (compare this dialog box to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog
of Word 97-2003; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html).

I am also confused by the new MultiLevel "List Library" and "List Styles"
that appear to be different from the Styles Pane List. What is th
difference
between the Styles in the Styles Pane, the List Library and List styles?
And
more importantly, when should each be used? Maybe I am just not using
these
3 functions correctly.

The "List Library" corresponds to the built-in lists found in the Format |
Bullets and Numbering dialog box of previous versions. Unfortunately, none
of these built-in lists are created as list styles, and only a few of them
are attached to styles. sigh

"List Styles" are your custom list styles; they appear under Home tab |
Multilevel List once they have been created in a document.

The Styles pane is different from the Styles and Formatting pane in Word
2002/2003. Even if you display all styles in the Styles pane, you still
can't see list styles (or table styles). I believe the purpose of this is to
limit the number of entries shown, and I agree that it is confusing.

Note, however, that if you click the Manage Styles button on the Styles
pane, and then click the Edit tab, you'll find the list styles there. Click
the Modify button if you want to modify the selected style (list style or
any other type of style).

You cannot apply a style via the Manage Styles dialog box, though.

Instead, when you want to apply a list style to text, use the "List Styles"
category found at Home tab | Multilevel List. You can also right-click a
list style here and choose to Modify it (which is a different way to bring
up the Modify Style dialog box).

Note that the safest way to make use of numbered lists in Word 2007 is to
create them as list styles, and link each numbering level to styles, all of
which can be done via the Modify Style dialog box (in the dialog box, click

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

On the Home tab, click the Multilevel List button, and then click
Define
New
List Style. In this dialog box, you can set the desired number format
for

"John9210" wrote in message
Is there a way in Word 2007 to change the default indent for
bulleted
and
numbered lists?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

Stefan:
WOW! Thanks for the in-depth response. I will give all this a whirl and see
how it all works.
I work in a govt agency that is rolling out MS 2007 in the next few months
to many thousands of users. As a current power user I have had it installed
earlier so I can tackle the learning curve and hopefully be of support the
rest of the staff as 2007 is rolled out. So your efforts on my behalf will
be multiplied exponentially. Thank You
--
Dave Robinson

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

List | Define New Multilevel List. You can still see any attached paragraph

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

On the Home tab, click the Multilevel List button, and then click
Define
New
List Style. In this dialog box, you can set the desired number format
for

"John9210" wrote in message
Is there a way in Word 2007 to change the default indent for
bulleted
and
numbered lists?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

List | Define New Multilevel List. You can still see any attached paragraph

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

On the Home tab, click the Multilevel List button, and then click
Define
New
List Style. In this dialog box, you can set the desired number format
for

Numbered Lists Link New Users 13 April 29th 07 05:25 PM
Numbered Lists Rod Plastow Page Layout 5 September 27th 06 04:54 PM
Numbered Lists Mary Lee Page Layout 5 August 12th 05 04:08 PM
Numbered Lists - What comes after "z" Tamlyn Schmeisser Microsoft Word Help 1 July 29th 05 09:31 PM
Numbered Lists Anna Summers Microsoft Word Help 9 July 4th 05 06:06 AM