Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
notverytechy notverytechy is offline

Default mail merge won't print

I have been using mail merge for years to create mailing labels for a
membership database. Now all of a sudden it will not print. I've tried to
send it as an attachment, looks as though it is all there but it is blank.
main document won't copy into notepad. I can work on the main document, add
to it, etc.. all seems fine until I print or attach. I need to send out 400
labels for a conference and am panicking
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which version of Word?

It isn't completely clear what is happening - if you merge to a new
document, can you see anything in the new document?

main document won't copy into notepad.

What are you trying to do at this point?

I can work on the main document, add
to it, etc.. all seems fine until I print or attach.

Are you actually doing the merge (sorry to ask since you're obviously used
to mail merge!)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"notverytechy" wrote in message
I have been using mail merge for years to create mailing labels for a
membership database. Now all of a sudden it will not print. I've tried to
send it as an attachment, looks as though it is all there but it is blank.
main document won't copy into notepad. I can work on the main document,
add
to it, etc.. all seems fine until I print or attach. I need to send out
400
labels for a conference and am panicking

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure which version of word, I started the document in 2005. I tried to copy the labels onto notepad or send them to someone else to print, but it's like a ghost. when they open the attachment it's not there. Does this mean my main document is corrupt?. I am completting the merge all the way through to the printing stage and all that prints out is blanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I'm not sure which version of word, I started the document in 2005.

Look in Word Help|About for verion info. From what you say I will guess Word
XP (2002) or Word 2003.

With your mail merge main document open,
a. can you see the table gridlines (the labels are laid out using a Word
table)? Try Table|Show gridlines if necessary.
b. If so, press Alt-F9. Can you see some word Field codes in curly braces,
e.g. { NEXT } ? Can you see any other fields, e.g. { MERGEFIELD something }?
If not, then you need to insert the fields you want from the data source and
"propagate labels".

When you merge, merge to a new document. You should get a new document with
all the labels. You should be able to print that, or attach it. You should
need to mess around with notepad.

I just have a feeling you may have forgotten something in your usual
process. But yes, something could be corrupt, in which case I suggest you
try the steps in the page at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/index.htm
even though the title does not describe your issue precisely.

Alternatively, Graham Mayor's page at
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm decsribes the
process: see where what you are doing differs from that.

--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline

I have a Word document set up with merge codes, merging from an Excel file.
The trouble I am having is that when the Appt_Date and Appt_Time fields have
text other than a date and time or they are blank, the merge process is
filling in the merge fields with the current date and time of 12:00 AM.
How can I setup the merge codes to give a result of the text from the Excel
file or leave blank if there is no text?

Interviewer: «Interviewer»
Appointment Date: «Appt_Date»
January 7, 2008 Appointment Time: «Appt_Time»

«Street»

Elizabeth