Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim B

Default Number of pages should restart with section page numbers

The following is a suggestion for Microsoft's next iteration of Word.

I just created a document consisting of three sections. I restarted page
numbering at 1 in each section. I used the "Page x of y" footer.

Now section 1 has the footers Page 1 of 7, Page 2 of 7. Then section 2 has
pages numbered Page 1 of 7, Page 2 of 7. Section 3 has pages labeled Page 1
of 7, Page 2 of 7, Page 3 of 7.

I think the last page of each section should always have the same page
number as the page count. (For example, page 2 of 2, page 3 of 3.)

It took a long time for me to figure out how to solved the problem: I
replaced the "y" field with the field code {sectionpages} in the footer.

Would it be a good idea for Microsoft to change the "Page x of y" autotext
to default to this?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, the NumPages field is the number of pages; it would be absurd for it to
be anything else. In your case, SectionPages was the correct field to use.
In cases where a multi-section chapter restarts numbering (which is
continuous throughout the chapter), neither field will work, and a different
workaround will be required, but having NumPages equal SectionPages wouldn't
help there, either.

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim B

Suzanne, thank you for your prompt reply.

As you wrote, it would be absurd to suggest that the NumPages field to be
equal to SectionPages. They are different variables for different purposes,
both useful.

Let me try to state my suggestion more clearly.

In the floating "Header and Footer" menu that is visible while editing
headers and footers, the last choice on the menu is "Page X of Y". My
suggestion relates only to the implementation of that menu choice.

When that Autotext item is chosen, Word inserts "Page { PAGE } of
{NUMPAGES}" into the current section's header or footer. My suggestion is
to change the text expansion to "Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES }".

Of course, no autotext will be right in all situations. The current
implementation {NumPages} satisfies users who do not restart numbering at
the beginning of sections. In documents like mine that restart the page
numbers at the beginning of a section, {SectionPages} is more appropriate.

In a complex document, headers and footers are defined in Word for each
section. Since you know that the user is in the middle of editing a section
header or footer when the autotext is available on the menu, it may be more
natural for Word to insert the section's page count than the document's
length.

In a document without section breaks, the two implementations produce
identical results. I would never have thought of your example, but when a
multi-section chapter restarts numbering, neither field will work.

-Jim

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you want Page X of Y to use SectionPages instead of NumPages, you can
certainly change it (create a new AutoText entry and save it as "Page X of
Y"), or you could create a new AutoText entry using SectionPages and call
it, say, Page X of Z. Word's major strength is not in its ability to be all
things to all people but in its customizability for the way *you* want it to
work.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, the NumPages field is the number of pages; it would be absurd for it

be anything else. In your case, SectionPages was the correct field to

use.
In cases where a multi-section chapter restarts numbering (which is
continuous throughout the chapter), neither field will work, and a

different
workaround will be required, but having NumPages equal SectionPages

wouldn't
help there, either.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim B

Suzanne, I'm convinced.

I had no idea that I could modify the AutoText entries that come with Word.
(There is no menu item that says Autotext/Edit, and I had not searched the
help for that task.) Thank you very much.

"Oh. Never Mind."
-Gilda Radner as Emily Litella

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gils usenet acct

Thanks yall. This thread answers a question that has been a mild bother for
a long time.

Cheers,

Gil

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you want Page X of Y to use SectionPages instead of NumPages, you can
certainly change it (create a new AutoText entry and save it as "Page X
of
Y"), or you could create a new AutoText entry using SectionPages and call
it, say, Page X of Z. Word's major strength is not in its ability to be
all
things to all people but in its customizability for the way *you* want it
work.

so
all may benefit.

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The inability to actually edit or modify AutoText entries (as you can edit a
macro or modify a style) is a nuisance. What you have to do is create a new
entry and save it under the same name, which I agree is less than intuitive.
That's something that, on the face of it, seems like it would be a good
feature, but then when you consider the huge variety of content that
AutoText entries can contain (not just plain text, but graphics, fields,
etc.), it makes more sense to use the full panoply of Word's editing tools
and then save the entry.

"Jim B" Jim wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gils usenet acct