Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bsbm525

Default Apostrophe

Hello,

I'm using Word 2002 and when I type in the year as '06 and hit the "space"
bar the apostrophe gets reversed. However, when you type in '06 & hit Enter,
the apostrophe stays the same. It is difficult to show an example since this
newsgroup format is in plain text.
How can I get the apostrophe to stay the same every time instead of it
reversing?
Thanks....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

What I think yhou are describing here are smart quotes. Turn off from tools
autocorrect options autoformat as you type uncheck smart quotes.

bsbm525 wrote:
Hello,

I'm using Word 2002 and when I type in the year as '06 and hit the
"space" bar the apostrophe gets reversed. However, when you type in
'06 & hit Enter, the apostrophe stays the same. It is difficult to
show an example since this newsgroup format is in plain text.
How can I get the apostrophe to stay the same every time instead of it
reversing?
Thanks....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can enter an apostrophe explicitly by typing Ctrl+', '. That is, press
Ctrl and the apostrophe key simultaneously, release, then press apostrophe
again. There are similar shortcuts for an opening single quote and opening
and closing double quotes. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm