RoystonB

Default Disappearing Pictures

I'm having problems with pictures within Word. I have
received a number of emails with Word attachments, which
contain pictures. When the document is opened the picture
on the screen is fine. However, when I scroll the picture
are erased from the screen and the pictures further now
the page are not shown. But I can get them back by using
the Task Pane and the pictures on the screen reappear.
But scroll again and they disappear. Task Pane, reappear.

Any ideas please? Thanks

TF

Poor graphics engine. Word is demanding of graphics and if you have an
integrated graphics chip on the motherboard, it is probably too feeble to
keep up the screen refresh when you scroll along. Other than checking to see
if you have the latest graphics drivers, there's little you can do other
than upgrade your graphics card.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"RoystonB" wrote in message
: I'm having problems with pictures within Word. I have
: received a number of emails with Word attachments, which
: contain pictures. When the document is opened the picture
: on the screen is fine. However, when I scroll the picture
: are erased from the screen and the pictures further now
: the page are not shown. But I can get them back by using
: the Task Pane and the pictures on the screen reappear.
: But scroll again and they disappear. Task Pane, reappear.
:
: Any ideas please? Thanks
:

Leonard F. Kiesling

have similar problem. new dell 4700 desktop computer. windows xp pro, using
word 2002. when i have a photo inserted into a document, it disappears when
i scroll. returns if i minimize then maximize using task bar button. how do
i slow down accelleration? this is my work computer. no added games .
thank you, len kiesling

"RoystonB" wrote in message
I'm having problems with pictures within Word. I have
received a number of emails with Word attachments, which
contain pictures. When the document is opened the picture
on the screen is fine. However, when I scroll the picture
are erased from the screen and the pictures further now
the page are not shown. But I can get them back by using
the Task Pane and the pictures on the screen reappear.
But scroll again and they disappear. Task Pane, reappear.

Any ideas please? Thanks

.

TF

Right-click on your Desktop and select Properties. Choose Settings, Tab,
Click on Advanced and then choose the Troubleshooting tab. Lowering by two
notched usually resolves the problem. Check on the Dell site to make sure
that you have the latest graphics driver available. If that doesn't clear
the problem, report this to Dell support.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Leonard F. Kiesling" wrote in
message ...
: have similar problem. new dell 4700 desktop computer. windows xp pro,
using
: word 2002. when i have a photo inserted into a document, it disappears
when
: i scroll. returns if i minimize then maximize using task bar button. how
do
: i slow down accelleration? this is my work computer. no added games .
: thank you, len kiesling
:
: "Graham Mayor" wrote in message
: ...
: If there is no driver update - and I agree with Terry's diagnosis - try
: reducing the graphics hardware acceleration a notch or two.
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
:
:
: wrote:
[...]
: "RoystonB" wrote in message
: ...
: I'm having problems with pictures within Word. I have
: received a number of emails with Word attachments, which
: contain pictures. When the document is opened the picture
: on the screen is fine. However, when I scroll the picture
: are erased from the screen and the pictures further now
: the page are not shown. But I can get them back by using
: the Task Pane and the pictures on the screen reappear.
: But scroll again and they disappear. Task Pane, reappear.
:
: Any ideas please? Thanks
:
:
:
: .
:
:
:
:

Leonard F. Kiesling

solved! thank you for reply! i updated driver thru dell's site. still had
problem. lowered accellerator 3 notches. solved problem! by lowering the
hardware accelerator by that much, 3 notches, will that affect anything i'm
not aware of? thank you, len kiesling

: wrote:
[...]
: "RoystonB" wrote in message
: ...
: I'm having problems with pictures within Word. I have
: received a number of emails with Word attachments, which
: contain pictures. When the document is opened the picture
: on the screen is fine. However, when I scroll the picture
: are erased from the screen and the pictures further now
: the page are not shown. But I can get them back by using
: the Task Pane and the pictures on the screen reappear.
: But scroll again and they disappear. Task Pane, reappear.
:
: Any ideas please? Thanks
:
:
:
: .
:
:
:
:

TF

It disables the hardware acceleration for DirectDraw and Direct3D, which
means that those function will only be handled by software. This is unlikely
to be a problem unless you are a heavy games player.

Terry

"Leonard F. Kiesling" wrote in
message ...
[...]
: :
: : "Graham Mayor" wrote in message
: : ...
: : If there is no driver update - and I agree with Terry's diagnosis -
: try
: : reducing the graphics hardware acceleration a notch or two.
: :
: : --
: :
: : Graham Mayor - Word MVP
: :
: : wrote:
[...]
: : "RoystonB" wrote in message
: : ...
: : I'm having problems with pictures within Word. I have
: : received a number of emails with Word attachments, which
: : contain pictures. When the document is opened the picture
: : on the screen is fine. However, when I scroll the picture
: : are erased from the screen and the pictures further now
: : the page are not shown. But I can get them back by using
: : the Task Pane and the pictures on the screen reappear.
: : But scroll again and they disappear. Task Pane, reappear.
: :
: : Any ideas please? Thanks
: :
: :
: :
: : .
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Leonard F Kiesling

thanks for reply! no games here, other than what came with windows xp pro.
not that it's important for me to know, but i don't understand:
"which means that those function will only be handled by software"?
i don't know what these are or what they do: DirectDraw and Direct3D

thanks for solving my disappearing images while scrolling in a word document
problem!

always grateful to these news groups!
[...]

..
: : thank you, len kiesling
: :

: : wrote:
[...]

: : "RoystonB" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

TF

It means that if any DirectDraw or Direct3D functions are used, instead of
the hardware acceleration in the graphics processor unit (GPU) handling the
process, it is provided by Windows and the computer's central processor unit
(CPU) - thus increasing the load on the CPU. This will slow down the
DirectDraw and Direct3D display and if it coincides with other processor
intensive activities, they will slow down too. Dell should fix the problem
with a new driver.

Terry

"Leonard F Kiesling" wrote in
message ...
[...]
: : :
: : : "Graham Mayor" wrote in message
: : : ...
: : : If there is no driver update - and I agree with Terry's
: diagnosis -
: : try
: : : reducing the graphics hardware acceleration a notch or two.
: : :
: : : --
: : :
: : : Graham Mayor - Word MVP
: : :
: : : wrote:
[...]
: : : "RoystonB" wrote in message
: : : ...
: : : I'm having problems with pictures within Word. I have
: : : received a number of emails with Word attachments, which
: : : contain pictures. When the document is opened the picture
: : : on the screen is fine. However, when I scroll the picture
: : : are erased from the screen and the pictures further now
: : : the page are not shown. But I can get them back by using
: : : the Task Pane and the pictures on the screen reappear.
: : : But scroll again and they disappear. Task Pane, reappear.
: : :
: : : Any ideas please? Thanks
: : :
: : :
: : :
: : : .
: : :
: : :
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Leonard,

Intel has confirmed that it is a problem with their driver for the
82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family of display adapters. They say
that they will address the problem in a new release of the driver.

If you wouldn't mind emailing me the service tag for your PC, I can
demonstrate clearly to Dell that the problem is occurring on many PCs.
Reducing the graphics acceleration a level below that which DirectX
uses is a temporary workaround.

Thanks for your help!

Ann

TF

Ann

Thanks for the efforts you have put in on this. It is an achievement to get
anyone to admit their problem!

Although we only have minimal sales of Dells at work (we standardise on
supplying HP business equipment to our customers), if we get any showing
those symptoms, I'll email you the service tags.

Terry

wrote in message
oups.com...
: Leonard,
:
: Intel has confirmed that it is a problem with their driver for the
: 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family of display adapters. They say
: that they will address the problem in a new release of the driver.
:
: If you wouldn't mind emailing me the service tag for your PC, I can
: demonstrate clearly to Dell that the problem is occurring on many PCs.
: Reducing the graphics acceleration a level below that which DirectX
: uses is a temporary workaround.
:
: Thanks for your help!
:
:
:
: Ann
:

Leonard F Kiesling

thank you ann. we have 5 new dells. 4700 models. 4 purchased about 3 mos
ago, & 1 1 month ago. i will forward service tags for all 5 as soon as
possible. i'm not always in the office. as previously stated, i followed
direction & went onto dell's site to update driver for the intel, but i
guess we'll need a newer one.
thank you len kiesling

wrote in message
oups.com...
Leonard,

Intel has confirmed that it is a problem with their driver for the
82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family of display adapters. They say
that they will address the problem in a new release of the driver.

If you wouldn't mind emailing me the service tag for your PC, I can
demonstrate clearly to Dell that the problem is occurring on many PCs.
Reducing the graphics acceleration a level below that which DirectX
uses is a temporary workaround.

Thanks for your help!

Ann

Leonard F. Kiesling

ann, i have checked 3 of the 5 systems. they have same service tag. i assume
the others will be the same. # 69HPT51. my display adapter is same as stated
below. the others show display adapter as: 82915G. possibly mine is
different since i had updated the driver thru dell's site(?).

thank you, len kiesling

wrote in message
oups.com...
Leonard,

Intel has confirmed that it is a problem with their driver for the
82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family of display adapters. They say
that they will address the problem in a new release of the driver.

If you wouldn't mind emailing me the service tag for your PC, I can
demonstrate clearly to Dell that the problem is occurring on many PCs.
Reducing the graphics acceleration a level below that which DirectX
uses is a temporary workaround.

Thanks for your help!

Ann

TF

Definitely.

Terry Farrell

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
:I thought the service tag for each machine was unique.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "Leonard F. Kiesling" wrote in
: message ...
: ann, i have checked 3 of the 5 systems. they have same service tag. i
: assume
: the others will be the same. # 69HPT51. my display adapter is same as
: stated
: below. the others show display adapter as: 82915G. possibly mine is
: different since i had updated the driver thru dell's site(?).
:
: thank you, len kiesling
:
:
: wrote in message
: oups.com...
: Leonard,
:
: Intel has confirmed that it is a problem with their driver for the
: 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family of display adapters. They say
: that they will address the problem in a new release of the driver.
:
: If you wouldn't mind emailing me the service tag for your PC, I can
: demonstrate clearly to Dell that the problem is occurring on many PCs.
: Reducing the graphics acceleration a level below that which DirectX
: uses is a temporary workaround.
:
: Thanks for your help!
:
:
:
: Ann
:
:
:
:

Leonard F Kiesling

thank you all. update: i wrote to dell, who directed me to a link, to,
again, update the display driver. the update was 7-2004. the update i first
completed had a higher file # which leads me to believe my first update was
a newer driver. either way, problem still not solved! other than the work
around method. i wrote to dell advising same. waiting for reply.

i secured the service tags of 3 machines from dell info on each hard drive.
the 4th was from the label on the case.
i too thought each machine would have a seperate service tag #. 4 were
purchased at one time about 3 months ago, & the 5th was purchased later. all
same tags!

should i just wait for intel to provide a new driver? should i switch back
to first updated driver? if so, how?
thanks to all, len kiesling (writing from home machine)

[...]

: wrote in message
: oups.com...
: Leonard,
:
[...]

Leonard F. Kiesling

i wrote to dell.one rep agreed that i'd have to wait for intel to provide an
updated driver. then i queried if changing the video card would solve the
problem. here's what dell wrote back:

"Dear Mr. Kiesling,

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

I understand that you want to know about the disappearing pictures
while scrolling a microsoft word document" problem?

I have checked the same in my system and in other systems but this is
quite normal so need not call it a problem.

It is a normal feature of this application."

i disagree with dell. this does not happen on my old windows 98. & the
lowering of hardware accellerator fixes it. will check my computer with xp
home & report back.

thank you, len kiesling

"Leonard F Kiesling" wrote in
message ...
[...]

: wrote in message
: oups.com...
: Leonard,
:
[...]

Leonard F Kiesling

update: i tried scrolling pages in microsoft word, on my home dell, 4600
(april 2004 purchase). no problem scrolling. i guess dell doesn't want to
replace the video card, & most notable is the quote by dell rep:
" I have checked the same in my system and in other systems but this is
quite normal so need not call it a problem...."

i will call dell from work & i'll advise this group of future status.

possibly, from here, could someone answer my question i posed to dell?

if the video card was changed to a different brand, would it stop the
disappearing pictures problem?

thank you, len kiesling
"
"Leonard F. Kiesling" wrote in
message ...
[...]

: wrote in message
: oups.com...
: Leonard,
:
[...]

TF

My guess would be YES. I certainly don't have the problem you are seeing
using a Radeon 5500SE. But knowing how often computers have made me look
stupid, I wouldn't guarantee it. The Dell guy is definitely waffling though.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Leonard F Kiesling" wrote in
message ...
: update: i tried scrolling pages in microsoft word, on my home dell, 4600
: (april 2004 purchase). no problem scrolling. i guess dell doesn't want to
: replace the video card, & most notable is the quote by dell rep:
: " I have checked the same in my system and in other systems but this is
: quite normal so need not call it a problem...."
:
: i will call dell from work & i'll advise this group of future status.
:
: possibly, from here, could someone answer my question i posed to dell?
:
: if the video card was changed to a different brand, would it stop the
: disappearing pictures problem?
:
: thank you, len kiesling
: "
: "Leonard F. Kiesling" wrote in
: message ...
[...]
: : wrote in message
: : oups.com...
: : Leonard,
: :
[...]

Leonard F Kiesling

thank you for these replies!
is the display adapter, graphics card, video card, all the same thing? also,
found this thread at cnet:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6129-0....ssageID=579899

found out many have this problem. thank you, len kiesling

[...]

: : wrote in message
: : oups.com...
: : Leonard,
: :
[...]

TF

Len

Yes: these are three terms are for the same item. It does looks as though
there are many other users sharing this problem. Don't get put off by the
twit that says he doesn't see this with WordPerfect though. WP works
completely differently than Word, so comparing an error on one with the
other is totally irrelevant. Word is very demanding of both the graphics and
printer drivers: if either has the slightest bug, you can be pretty sure
that Word will be affected long before other applications are affected.

I would also guess that comparing your problems with my Radeon 5500 are
irrelevant too because it looks like most of these users have Dell with
PCI-E buses; so it may be a conflict with the driver on particular
motherboards.

Terry

"Leonard F Kiesling" wrote in
message ...
: thank you for these replies!
: is the display adapter, graphics card, video card, all the same thing?
also,
: found this thread at cnet:
:
:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6129-0....ssageID=579899
:
: found out many have this problem. thank you, len kiesling
:

Leonard F Kiesling

thanks for all this info! my home dell, 10 months old, desktop 4600 using
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 video card. no problem scrolling photos in word 2002.
have win98se using word 97 & no problem scrolling. have 4 month old dell
4700 work computer, using word 2002, has scrolling problems.

is this part fixable:
"so it may be a conflict with the driver on particular
motherboards."?

thanks again, len kiesling

[...]

Leonard F Kiesling

problem solved. researched thru a cnet site:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6129-0....sageID=1004325

fix was posted today. went to intel's site; downloaded latest driver;
pictures scroll normally in microsoft word 2002, on new dell 4700 desktop.
thank you. ann was correct! & thanks to this news group!
len kiesling

"Leonard F. Kiesling" wrote in
message ...

"RoystonB" wrote in message
I'm having problems with pictures within Word. I have
received a number of emails with Word attachments, which
contain pictures. When the document is opened the picture
on the screen is fine. However, when I scroll the picture
are erased from the screen and the pictures further now
the page are not shown. But I can get them back by using
the Task Pane and the pictures on the screen reappear.
But scroll again and they disappear. Task Pane, reappear.

Any ideas please? Thanks

.

TF

Thanks for letting us know that Intel have patched the bug.

Terry

"Leonard F Kiesling" wrote in
message ...