Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark S Mark S is offline

Default Re-directing XML Schema in Word

If I work on XML tagging a Word document using a locally-stored schema, and
email both the document and schema, can I re-direct the schema path to a copy
of the same schema on a different computer without losing all of the tagging
already done? Or, must the schema ALWAYS be stored somewhere accessible by
both computers that are involved? I figured out how to change the namespace
address within the XML, but then the schema's path is blank and therefore
"Unaccessible".
--
Mark Stahura
Production Systems Manager
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?TWFyayBT?=,

If I work on XML tagging a Word document using a locally-stored schema, and
email both the document and schema, can I re-direct the schema path to a copy
of the same schema on a different computer without losing all of the tagging
already done? Or, must the schema ALWAYS be stored somewhere accessible by
both computers that are involved? I figured out how to change the namespace
address within the XML, but then the schema's path is blank and therefore
"Unaccessible".

If I recall correctly what I've learned about this, the URL in the namespace
isn't what is used to locate a schema. This is just a "resource identifier" that
should uniquely identify the namespace (so it doesn't get mixed up with any
other - like a GUID). Changing that will unlink any nodes from the schema.

But Word doesn't use this to find a schema. It should look in the user's schema
cache. When you attach a schema to a document Word should make a copy of the
schema in the local cache (at least, I could see that happening with Word 2003
and WinXP - I'm not seeing it with Word 2007 and Vista). So theoretically a
schema should be put in that cache and the document will "find" it on another
computer.

The following article mentions using a manifest to point a document to a schema:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.11).aspx

Which leads to this article, which may be what you need:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.11).aspx

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Updating the XML Schema in the Schema Library Ben Microsoft Word Help 1 September 14th 06 02:54 AM
How do I create a XML Schema for Word '03? MR2 Page Layout 0 February 4th 06 04:20 PM
Schema Library - Update Schema Button Goowa Microsoft Word Help 4 January 24th 06 07:10 PM
Word SCHEMA Enrico Page Layout 3 June 6th 05 09:11 AM
Using schema in Word document farseer Microsoft Word Help 1 June 3rd 05 08:50 AM