Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lemony Lemony is offline

Default Word Document extension - .docx

I have Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student, and the Vista operating
system. All Word documents carry the extension ".docx" (as opposed to ".doc"
which is what I am used to in Word). I've discovered that the ".docx" is not
supported by any other generation or version of Microsoft and nobody can open
my Word Documents on their computers. Is there a way to make my Word
documents openable by other Microsoft Word generations or versions? By the
way, I'm having the same problem with my excel (".xlsx") documents too.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RozBuds RozBuds is offline

They need to install Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and
PowerPoint 2007 file formats. I use MS Office 2003 and have it installed and
the docx and excel, etc open fine. Go to the Microsoft site and you can get
more information.

"Lemony" wrote:

I have Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student, and the Vista operating
system. All Word documents carry the extension ".docx" (as opposed to ".doc"
which is what I am used to in Word). I've discovered that the ".docx" is not
supported by any other generation or version of Microsoft and nobody can open
my Word Documents on their computers. Is there a way to make my Word
documents openable by other Microsoft Word generations or versions? By the
way, I'm having the same problem with my excel (".xlsx") documents too.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Office 2007 apps can save in legacy Office formats. Just choose Save As
instead of Save.

You might also tell your colleagues that Microsoft offers a free Office 2007
Compatibility pack that lets them open x format files:

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Lemony" wrote in message
news
I have Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student, and the Vista operating
system. All Word documents carry the extension ".docx" (as opposed to
".doc"
which is what I am used to in Word). I've discovered that the ".docx" is
not
supported by any other generation or version of Microsoft and nobody can
open
my Word Documents on their computers. Is there a way to make my Word
documents openable by other Microsoft Word generations or versions? By
the
way, I'm having the same problem with my excel (".xlsx") documents too.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Herb has said, although it's more courteous for you to save
the documents in a format they can use, it's definitely to their advantage
to go ahead and get the Compatibility Pack, as other senders may not be as
considerate as you. In addition, they will get the new fonts that come with
Word 2007, assuring even more compatibility even if the docs are sent in
Word 97-2003 format.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Office 2007 apps can save in legacy Office formats. Just choose Save As
instead of Save.

You might also tell your colleagues that Microsoft offers a free Office
2007 Compatibility pack that lets them open x format files:

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com