smurphy

Default Drop down lists and check boxes in a form

I am trying to make forms easier to use for the end user.

I want to have a checkbox be marked with an X when you click on the box.
I want to have a drop down list, drop down when you click on it, and then
when you select one of the options, be viewable in that field.

I know this can be done, I am just not sure of the process.
Jay Freedman

smurphy wrote:
I am trying to make forms easier to use for the end user.

I want to have a checkbox be marked with an X when you click on the
box. I want to have a drop down list, drop down when you click on it,
and then when you select one of the options, be viewable in that
field.

I know this can be done, I am just not sure of the process.

Read this series of articles:

Please Fill Out This Form
Part 1: Create professional looking forms in Word
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22

Part 2: Adding Automation to your Word forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=46

Part 3: Learn more VBA (macros) to automate your forms.
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=119

Part 4: Use custom dialog boxes in your Word forms
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=127

Part 5: Connect your AutoForm to a database to save input time and keep
better records!
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=136

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Cynthia

Suzanne - these were NOT attachments but embedded images within the message itself. Since I am a visual person, it helps me to associate things with text rather than have descriptive text only. And the message was only 60 kilobytes in size. Images are very optimized for small size. I never send attachments in newsgroups (Microsoft newsgroups, that is). Since I am using Outlook Express, I used the INSERT PICTURE option so the images were part of the message.

Please don't post attachments to these NGs. Most of the readers of this NG
especially are posting through Web portals that do not permit either posting
or viewing attachments.

They may be embedded on your end, but if you look at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...&lang=en&cr=US,
you'll see that they are not visible to OP, who posted through this forum.
60K is a very large message for a NG, 10-12 or more times the size of a
typical post.

"Cynthia" wrote in message
Suzanne - these were NOT attachments but embedded images within the message
itself. Since I am a visual person, it helps me to associate things with
text rather than have descriptive text only. And the message was only 60
kilobytes in size. Images are very optimized for small size. I never send
attachments in newsgroups (Microsoft newsgroups, that is). Since I am using
Outlook Express, I used the INSERT PICTURE option so the images were part of
the message.

----

Please don't post attachments to these NGs. Most of the readers of this NG
especially are posting through Web portals that do not permit either posting
or viewing attachments.

Cynthia

Suzanne - my own personal preference is to use OE6 to access NewsGroups because I can view things properly rather than from a web page.

This is the link to click to get into Microsoft public newsgroup for this particular discussion. You add the account (tools, accounts, NEWS, and add it. (just the msnews.microsoft.com part)

Cynthia

I agree that NNTP is the most efficient way to access Usenet. That is the
method I have always used; because I'm on dial-up, Web forums are much too
slow to be useful to me. I am reading these NGs with OE6, as you could tell
by looking at my message headers, but the huge majority of those posting
questions are not. Usenet is intended to be plain text (with no attachments
except in those NGs designated as "binaries"), and even HTML posts are
discouraged in these (microsoft.public.word) NGs. Although the Microsoft
Communities and similar Web forums are Web forms, their formatting is
essentially limited to plain text. If you want to make your replies useful
to those who have posted the questions, you will keep this in mind.

"Cynthia" wrote in message
Suzanne - my own personal preference is to use OE6 to access NewsGroups
because I can view things properly rather than from a web page.

This is the link to click to get into Microsoft public newsgroup for this
particular discussion. You add the account (tools, accounts, NEWS, and add
it. (just the msnews.microsoft.com part)

Cynthia

Daiya Mitchell

They still show up as attachments to anyone reading. Me, for instance--my
newsreader shows the little paperclip that denotes an attachment and lists
the files as attachments, even though they still show up automatically in
the HTML message.

Since plain text cannot embed images, etc, those files have to be attached
to the message. The HTML formatting that you are using just hides the
mechanism behind showing the image. I'm not familiar with OE, but I suspect
the OE feature is just a quick way to hide the mechanics as well, but that
it is still attaching the files behind the scenes. Just like a web
page--the images look like part of the page but are really separate files.

On 6/4/05 7:59 AM, "Cynthia" wrote:

I will check that one, Suzanne, and thank you for the explanation, but again,
I am placing screen captures inside the message body,and not attaching them
using that feature of OE6.

They may be embedded on your end, but if you look at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...microsoft.publ
ic.word.docmanagement&lang=en&cr=US,
you'll see that they are not visible to OP, who posted through this forum.
60K is a very large message for a NG, 10-12 or more times the size of a
typical post.

Charles Kenyon

Assuming you inserted the checkboxes and drop down list from the Forms
toolbar, click on the lock button on that toolbar and protect your document
for forms. What you are talking about is what Word calls an "online form."
Check this in help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"smurphy" wrote in message
I am trying to make forms easier to use for the end user.

I want to have a checkbox be marked with an X when you click on the box.
I want to have a drop down list, drop down when you click on it, and then
when you select one of the options, be viewable in that field.

I know this can be done, I am just not sure of the process.

Beth Melton

The fact of the matter is the person you are attempting to help
doesn't see your reply or may not see all of your reply, due to the
images.

In this case the OP has posted using the web interface on the MS site.
Some of your text shows up but the images don't. So unfortunately, all
that time you spent trying to help the OP was for naught. :-(

See for yourself:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...060&sloc=en-us

That's also one of the reasons incorporated the message warning about
posting in HTML and other newsreaders may not be about to read it and
it recommends you use plain text.

The general rule is if the newsgroup does not have 'bin' or 'binary'
in the name then posting attachments, embedded images, HTML or RTF
format is considered poor netiquette.

And if you ever wondered why many of us create a tutorials with screen
shots and such and then post links to them in our replies that's why.
;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Cynthia" wrote in message
[...]

Two reasons:

1. Most users nowadays know nothing of Usenet and NNTP newsreaders. They go
to www.microsoft.com looking for support and find the online communities
there. Or they search Google for an answer and get involved in newsgroups
that way. Most of them have no real concept of what newsgroups are. Although
we encourage regular users to use newsreaders, most users come to post one
question, get an answer, and then leave; they're not interested in a
long-term technology.

2. Some people are behind corporate firewalls that prevent access to Usenet
using newsgreaders. If they can surf the Web (and some can't even do that),
then they can post in Web forums such as the Office Communities, Google
Groups, and the like.

"Cynthia" wrote in message
I see --- well... Why don't people access the newsgroup like I do? Makes me
wonder.

----

The fact of the matter is the person you are attempting to help
doesn't see your reply or may not see all of your reply, due to the
images.

In this case the OP has posted using the web interface on the MS site.
Some of your text shows up but the images don't. So unfortunately, all
that time you spent trying to help the OP was for naught. :-(

Beth Melton

Suzanne provided the reasons why many can not use OE or another
newsreader but those who tend to hang out more do access the ngs using
OE or an alternate newsreader. BUT everyone uses the same newsreader
as you do (because actually OE isn't necessarily the best newsreader -
each have their pros/cons) and they may handle posts containing
anything other than plain text differently. Take HTML, for example,
for some newsreaders this requires two downloads for the post: once as
plain text and the other as HTML.

That may not sound like a big deal but another factor to keep in mind
is not everyone has the same Internet access. Many overseas must pay
by the byte or minute and unncesssary posting size, such as HTML,
along with embedded images/attachments cost them money. And, of
course, don't forget the dial-up users - large posts, such as HTML or
those that contain images/attachments cost them time.

It wasn't that long ago I only had a dial-up and waiting for posts to
download became frustrating - especially when I had a limited amount
of time to access them. And occasionally I'll access them using my
cell phone for Internet access when I'm traveling. Yeah, even slower
than dial-up!

So...in order to keep newsgroup posts so they can be read by everyone
and cost everyone a minimal amount of time and money, posting in plain
text and no attachments/images is considered good netiquette.

If you don't know how to set OE to use plain text by defaut here are
the steps you need:

1. Go to Tools/Options
2. On the Send tab select "Plain text" under the "News sending format"
section at the bottom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Cynthia" wrote in message
I see --- well... Why don't people access the newsgroup like I do?
Makes me wonder.

The fact of the matter is the person you are attempting to help
doesn't see your reply or may not see all of your reply, due to the
images.

In this case the OP has posted using the web interface on the MS site.
Some of your text shows up but the images don't. So unfortunately, all
that time you spent trying to help the OP was for naught. :-(

Cynthia

The only place I see really large posts (over 100kb) is in the stationery
newsgroups and all of those ARE html format.

My post was only 60kb which is rather small by comparison. Would it have
made a difference if I zipped the instructions? Since I use OE6 for
newsgroups...well..

I remember the problem a year or so ago on ALL of Microsoft's public
newsgroups when hackers were sending out those bogus Microsoft
update/upgrade scam mails which were virus-infected. Lord knows, I got over
200 a day on my e-mail server, and as a result had to change my e-mail
address and password with my ISP! That was the only way to resolve the
issue. I was getting automated e-mail from my ISP telling me I had exceeded
my quota!

Now, I have security in place (not just SP2 for Windows XP) that gives me
STEALTH results (testing all ports at Shields Up web site).

As for the MS public newsgroups - John Eddy (Microsoft) informed people that
no attachments would be allowed in public newsgroups because of it, and that
in the OE6 stationery newsgroup, any posts over 100 had to be divided.
Because of this, he set up a private newsgroup where there is not this
limit. And that's where I post my stationery creations. Mine generally
don't go over 260kb insize. I have seen some posts as large as 600kb+ which
is ridiculous.

I happen to access the Internet via high speed DSL (1.5MBps).

Cynthia

Daiya Mitchell

Beth meant to say NOT everyone is using the same type of newsreader, of
course. What you see is a totally unreliable way to figure out what anybody
else might be seeing.

60kb is huge compared to the standard posts on this group which range from
0.9k to 3k, in a quick scan of the list in front of me. Zipping it down to
20k would still have been huge. Certainly, all newsgroups will have their
own "house rules" but they are usually apparent from reading a few posts.

Thanks for changing away from HTML. I hate reading in Arial, or whatever it
was--now I can read your posts in the font that I have determined is the
most comfortable for me, at the line length that I am accustomed to.

On 6/5/05 6:26 AM, "Cynthia" wrote:

The only place I see really large posts (over 100kb) is in the stationery
newsgroups and all of those ARE html format.

My post was only 60kb which is rather small by comparison. Would it have
made a difference if I zipped the instructions? Since I use OE6 for
newsgroups...well..

Beth Melton

The majority of posts do not exceed 3-4K so 60K in a plain text
newsgroup is considered large. What doesn't seem large to some is
large to others. :-)

Again, the primary reason for this is not everyone has high speed
Internet access and many of those outside the US pay by the
byte/minute. And these days, using a cell phone to connect to the
Internet can end up being a pay by the byte too. - and that's on top
of a monthly charge. :-(

Regarding email spoofing, if you do not munge your email address then
you'll still be exposed to spoofing and susceptible to the same issue
that took place a year or so ago. No amount of security can prevent
someone from harvesting email addresses from the newsgroups - which is
what they did. So if you are using a valid email address then I'd
change it.

Luckily, between my email provider getting on top of the issue and
rules I created I didn't have to abandon my email address like so many
others did. But you won't see me posting without a munged email
address!

Which is another reason for the web interface on the Microsoft site.
We added a default munged email address
) for posters to prevent this
issue. We also incorporated the ability to subscribe to posts and
receive email notification on replies. The notification is sent to an
email address stored in a profile and not visible to the public. That
way those who use the web interface have a little more security and
receiving email notification of replies is an advantage to those who
don't access the newsgroups on a regular basis.

However there is no ability to post attachments and this was
incorporated due to security issues you mentioned. As a side note, one
of the primary reasons for the 'no attachment' rule was due to the
upcoming deployment of the web interface on the MS site. Those using
the web interface would have no means of viewing attachments or adding
them and there was an issue with size due to how posts are stored.
(John's announcement was made prior to the deployment of the new web
interface so that aspect couldn't be revealed to the public.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Cynthia" wrote in message
[...]

Beth Melton

Whoops!! I didn't realize I missed they ever-so-important NOT in my
reply. Thanks for catching this and for the correction. :-)

It should have read:

BUT *NOT* everyone uses the same newsreader as you do...

~Beth Melton

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Beth meant to say NOT everyone is using the same type of newsreader,
of
course. What you see is a totally unreliable way to figure out what
anybody
else might be seeing.

Graham Mayor

What essentially you are saying is that everyone is out of step bar you and
that everyone else must conform to your ideas of message display for your
convenience. This is a text based newsgroup. Please use text format when
accessing it. Not everyone accesses the internet by high speed adsl. Some of
us access by expensive dial -up systems, even slow GSM mobile systems. We
don't appreciate the extra bandwidth, and we certainly don't want add-ins.

If you don't like the rules of the club, don't join it!

Cynthia wrote:
[...]

Cynthia

'scuse me, but that's NOT what I am saying.

end of discussion - case closed.

Hard to know what you're *not* saying since you don't quote any of the posts
you're replying to.

"Cynthia" wrote in message
'scuse me, but that's NOT what I am saying.

end of discussion - case closed.

Cynthia

Suzanne - that last one was not worth quoting, believe me! G I am not of
the opinion "I wear blue suits. Everyone should wear blue suits" mentality.
I only stated (in this thread) that I prefer using OE6 for accessing
newsgroups because I had too many problems going in from IE and web sites.
I have better control here. Especially true of formatting messages. And,
as you can plainly see, I _AM_ using plain text.
Cynthia