Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diane Diane is offline

Default Arrange in alphabetical order

I am typing a document with a long list of names - can i somehow tell word to
put it in alphabetical order?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

It will arrange by the FIRST WORD of each entry of your list. If that's what
you want, yes, you can do it.

Do you have Word 2007 or an older version? (The process is different.)

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Diane" wrote in message
I am typing a document with a long list of names - can i somehow tell word
put it in alphabetical order?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus Opinicus is offline

"Diane" wrote

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

It will arrange by the FIRST WORD of each entry of your list. If that's
what
you want, yes, you can do it.

Do you have Word 2007 or an older version? (The process is different.)

Older version

In that case define the text of the list you want to sort. Alt-A (Table)
(It's counter-intuitive, yes I know.) Sort. Paragraphs. (Choose Ascending or
Descending). OK.

Your list will be sorted on the first character in each line.

This procedure assumes you don't have a "Header row". (An option for which
is provided.)

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

In addition, if your list of names contains the first name, then the last
name and then a return (new paragraph), you can sort on the last name
(surname).

Select the listTableSort.
In the dialog box, under Sort By: click the drop down box and select Word 2.
Click OK.
Give it a try. This works in my Word 2003.

Gordo