Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JAP JAP is offline

Default I want all my documents to always open in Draft page view

No matter what it's saved as, all Word 2007 files when opened revert to Print
layout, not the Draft (formerly called Normal) layout of Word 2000. Have
looked on the web but the explanations of how to change this are too complex
to follow. Surely there must be some easy setting to turn on or off for this
to happen as a default?
(Have also checked Help and online Help.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The first step is to select "Allow opening a document in Draft view"; you'll
find this option in Office button | Word Options, Advanced category (look
under the "General" heading). Now, the view should be correctly saved with
the document. To change the view saved with a document or template, see the
instructions at http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/SaveViewAndZoom.htm.

However, if you want to force Draft view on any document opened in Word, you
will have to use macros:

Sub AutoOpen()
ChangeViews
End Sub

Sub AutoNew()
ChangeViews
End Sub

Sub ChangeViews()
With ActiveWindow.View
..Type = 1 'Draft view
..Zoom.Percentage = 100 'Zoom level
End With
End Sub

Store the macros in normal.dotm (or perhaps in an add-in). If you need
assistance, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP