Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
greenie

Default replacing blocked text

I used to be able to block text and type a letter which would replace the
entire text. Now, when I block the text and type a letter, the letter is
just added at the end of the blocked text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace" and the block
text would be erased. Now when I block text and press "backspace," the
cursor just goes to the beginning of the blocked text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
greenie

Mr. Mayor:

Oh!!!
Thank you so much, such a simple solution to a massive headache!!

--grateful

greenie wrote:
I used to be able to block text and type a letter which would replace
the entire text. Now, when I block the text and type a letter, the
letter is just added at the end of the blocked text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace" and the
block text would be erased. Now when I block text and press
"backspace," the cursor just goes to the beginning of the blocked
text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mrs Tabs Mrs Tabs is offline

Thank you Graham - the same thing happened to me and your answer has solved
the problem. But does anyone know why does the programme suddenly change like
this of its own accord?

greenie wrote:
I used to be able to block text and type a letter which would replace
the entire text. Now, when I block the text and type a letter, the
letter is just added at the end of the blocked text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace" and the
block text would be erased. Now when I block text and press
"backspace," the cursor just goes to the beginning of the blocked
text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2003 has a minor bug that causes random changes to the registry key
that holds the settings. If it becomes a problem you will need a macro
solution to fix it.

greenie wrote:
I used to be able to block text and type a letter which would
replace the entire text. Now, when I block the text and type a
letter, the letter is just added at the end of the blocked text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace" and the
block text would be erased. Now when I block text and press
"backspace," the cursor just goes to the beginning of the blocked
text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I know we've been down this road before, Graham, but I still do not
concur with a minor bug that randomly changes the Registry. If it were
then the Registry key would be rebuilt which would reset it to the
defaults and "Typing replaces selection" is not a default setting.

I've investigated similar situations, "unexplained changes to user
preferences", and each and every time we've found the cause. The
gremlin has always been a third-party add-in or a document/template
that contains a macro that is responsible for this type of behavior.
Someone recorded a macro to make a change to Tools/Options and not
edit their macro to remove the options that do not apply and the macro
is in an add-in or template. Even some of the Microsoft templates
change user preferences so it's not uncommon. I'll bet if we polled
everyone who has encounter this situation and had them list every
add-in they have installed or template they used we'd find the
culprit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

greenie wrote:
I used to be able to block text and type a letter which would
replace the entire text. Now, when I block the text and type a
letter, the letter is just added at the end of the blocked text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace" and
the
block text would be erased. Now when I block text and press
"backspace," the cursor just goes to the beginning of the blocked
text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, I'd love to know which add-in is monkeying with my ruler display. I
want it ON, always, in every document, all the time, but I can have it on in
one session and it's off in the next, on in the current document and off in
the next one I open (in a given session), no matter how many times I save
and close documents (and Word) with the ruler displayed. My add-ins a

DataPrompter.dot
TaskPaneController.dot
PDFMaker.dot

Also, another slight mystery: ever since I added a Ruler button to my
Standard toolbar (to facilitate turning the blamed thing on), the Acrobat
toolbar, which I had to the right of it, is not displayed at startup even
though there's still room for it (barely). Even when I turn it on in a given
session and have it displayed when I quit Word, it isn't there the next
time. Not a real issue, since I can easily display it when I need it (which
is fairly infrequently)--just one more mystery (and really surprising given
the usual persistence of that particular toolbar).

greenie wrote:
I used to be able to block text and type a letter which would
replace the entire text. Now, when I block the text and type a
letter, the letter is just added at the end of the blocked text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace" and
the
block text would be erased. Now when I block text and press
"backspace," the cursor just goes to the beginning of the blocked
text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the Edit tab. Make sure
"Typing replaces selection" is checked, and click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"greenie" wrote in message
I used to be able to block text and type a letter which would

replace the
entire text. Now, when I block the text and type a letter, the

letter is
just added at the end of the blocked text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace" and the

block
text would be erased. Now when I block text and press "backspace,"

the
cursor just goes to the beginning of the blocked text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.

Header with picture or text box Scott Page Layout 15 April 28th 23 02:52 AM
Wandering text box Jim K Microsoft Word Help 7 December 23rd 05 11:27 PM
Replacing text, instead of replacing, text inserts alongside word Margaret Minker Microsoft Word Help 4 December 9th 05 03:52 PM
Replacing selected text Dave New Users 2 January 26th 05 06:06 PM
replacing text in templates ted medin New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:50 PM