kbales

Default Bullets and Numbering

I am currently transcribing and I am number each paragraph. When I get to
100 everything goes crazy. I need help on trying to fix this problem.
Daiya Mitchell

You are going to need to explain what "everything goes crazy" means to get
any useful help.

Also state your version of Word.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

kbales

This is an example of what I am talking about:
98. Don: hello

99. Rachel: Hello how are you?

100. Don: Fine.

On 9/1/05 2:18 PM, "kbales" wrote:

I am currently transcribing and I am number each paragraph. When I get to
100 everything goes crazy. I need help on trying to fix this problem.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

Thought so. Okay.

In a numbered list, Word adds a tab after each number. A single tab goes to
the next closest tab stop. The tab stops are set to .5 inch by default, so
occur at .5 inch, 1 inch, 1.5 inch, etc.

So, the extra digit at 100 is pushing the number far over enough that the
single tab jumps to the 1 inch tab stop instead of the .5 inch tab stop.

Two ways to fix this:

1) select all text and set a tab stop at, say .75 inch. Then the single
tab stop will always jump to .75 inch. You need to make sure the point you
choose is far enough over that 1000 won't mess it up again. Your custom
settings will override the default tab stops.

Or, (better solution)

2) I assume you are using numbering from Format | Bullets and Numbering.
Open up that dialog and find the setting you are using. Click on Customize.
Change the Number Position from Left to Right. This will align all the
numbers at their end instead of at their beginning, and you won't need to
worry about the jump to 10, to 100, or to 1000.