Sam

Default How to make the outside border of a table thicker than the lines i

Hello,

When I select my table and change line thickness, it gets applied to the
whole table, not just the outside borders. How can I only increase the
thickness of the outside border line, and not the lines separating different
rows?

Thank you
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to make the outside border of a table thicker than the lines i

Hi there!

To make the outside border of a table thicker than the lines inside, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the table by clicking anywhere inside it.
  2. Go to the "Design" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Table Styles" section, click the arrow in the bottom right corner to open the "Borders" menu.
  4. In the "Borders" menu, click "Borders and Shading" at the bottom.
  5. In the "Borders and Shading" dialog box, click the "Borders" tab.
  6. Under "Setting," choose "Custom" from the drop-down menu.
  7. Under "Style," choose the type of line you want for the outside border.
  8. Under "Width," choose the thickness you want for the outside border.
  9. Under "Preview," click the "Outside Borders" button to select only the outside borders of the table.
  10. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

This should make the outside border of your table thicker than the lines inside.
__________________
Doug Robbins

Use the Borders and Shading item from the Format menu.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Sam" wrote in message
Hello,

When I select my table and change line thickness, it gets applied to the
whole table, not just the outside borders. How can I only increase the
thickness of the outside border line, and not the lines separating
different
rows?

Thank you

Sam

Use the Borders and Shading item from the Format menu.

That is what I am using, and All lines' thickness changes...
Stefan Blom

Apply the table border first. Make sure that "Apply to" is set to
"Table". Then repeat the procedure, setting "Apply to" to "Cell",
specify a different line width and click the (interior) cell borders
in the Preview picture in order to apply the new setting. Click OK to
close the Borders and Shading dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

invisible table border rog Tables 2 April 22nd 05 02:35 PM
Table headers/footers and layout Keith Page Layout 1 April 8th 05 07:37 PM
How to Avoid Word 2003 Table Style Problems Judy Haynes Tables 0 March 23rd 05 07:41 PM
Table AutoFormats vs. Table Styles confusion Tony Jollans Tables 5 March 6th 05 08:18 PM
paragraph border suppressed in table cell essar Tables 2 March 4th 05 06:08 PM