Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie

Default Merge data file location drops out of template when edited

I have a series of templates that are mailmerge main documents. Each one
has the path to the text file with the merge data set in it, just by using
the mailmerge helper.

Sometimes, when users edit these templates, the template loses the path to
the data file. Does anyone else have this happen and if so, is there an
easy fix other than using the mailmerge helper again and reattaching the
source file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

It shouldn't lose the path if the data file is in the same folder as the
document or is in the My Data Sources Folder.
Yoi can always re-attach from the merge toolbar.

Dixie wrote:
I have a series of templates that are mailmerge main documents. Each
one has the path to the text file with the merge data set in it, just
by using the mailmerge helper.

Sometimes, when users edit these templates, the template loses the
path to the data file. Does anyone else have this happen and if so,
is there an easy fix other than using the mailmerge helper again and
reattaching the source file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie

I have never heard of the My Data Sources folder. I use Windows XP SP2.
Where is it located?

Dixie wrote:
I have a series of templates that are mailmerge main documents. Each
one has the path to the text file with the merge data set in it, just
by using the mailmerge helper.

Sometimes, when users edit these templates, the template loses the
path to the data file. Does anyone else have this happen and if so,
is there an easy fix other than using the mailmerge helper again and
reattaching the source file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Under My Documents. The full path will be C:\Documents and Settings\[user
name]\My Documents\My Data Sources

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Dixie wrote:
I have a series of templates that are mailmerge main documents. Each
one has the path to the text file with the merge data set in it, just
by using the mailmerge helper.

Sometimes, when users edit these templates, the template loses the
path to the data file. Does anyone else have this happen and if so,
is there an easy fix other than using the mailmerge helper again and
reattaching the source file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie

With the [User name] part of that path, can you use some sort of variable
that would pick it up from a network logon?

dixie

Dixie wrote:
I have a series of templates that are mailmerge main documents. Each
one has the path to the text file with the merge data set in it, just
by using the mailmerge helper.

Sometimes, when users edit these templates, the template loses the
path to the data file. Does anyone else have this happen and if so,
is there an easy fix other than using the mailmerge helper again and
reattaching the source file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See the article "How to get the username of the current user" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...urUserName.htm

How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
Using HTML file as data source for Mail Merge thenin Mailmerge 4 November 21st 05 08:03 AM
SQL Prompt When opening merged documents Jeni Q Mailmerge 14 August 11th 05 09:10 PM
DotNet Data Table as Mail Merge Data Source goraya Mailmerge 1 July 7th 05 09:51 AM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM