Matt

Default (Mac) Word 2004 Audio on a PC

Hi,

I recently received a doc file that was created in Word 2004. The creator
used 2004's audio note recording tool which embeds the audio in the file. I
know it is included since the file size it 61 MB for 6 pages of text. Is
there any way to extract/export the audio from the document on the PC? I
haven't found any converters. I'm using Office XP but I have 2003 with
OneNote on my other PC if needed. I could also ask the author to export it
on the Mac, but I don't really want to trouble him unless it's absolutely
necessary.

Thanks,
~Matt

John McGhie

Word will have embedded that file in either MP4, AIFF or WAV format. Since
you cannot play it on the PC, I think we can assume that it's in MP4 or
AIFF. WAV is a native format for Windows.

Given that the file is huge (61 MB) chances are the thing is in AIFF format.

If it were in MP4 format, Windows Media Player 10 should be able to play it
if you have an MP4 CODEC installed.

So I suggest that you try installing iTunes for Windows, which I believe is
available from the Apple website (I can't check at the moment, I'm
off-line).

No guarantee of success, mind you: Word 2003 can't handle Word 2004's
Notebook format, so it may not be able to access the audio even if you do
have an application that can handle the formats involved.

So you may well have to go back to the originator and tell him you want a
WAV file :-)

Cheers

On 21/12/04 11:29 AM, in article
, "Daiya Mitchell"

On 12/20/04 12:35 PM, "Matt" wrote:

Hi,

I recently received a doc file that was created in Word 2004. The creator
used 2004's audio note recording tool which embeds the audio in the file. I
know it is included since the file size it 61 MB for 6 pages of text. Is
there any way to extract/export the audio from the document on the PC? I
haven't found any converters. I'm using Office XP but I have 2003 with
OneNote on my other PC if needed. I could also ask the author to export it
on the Mac, but I don't really want to trouble him unless it's absolutely
necessary.

Thanks,
~Matt

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 4 1209 1410

Matt

The format isn't the issue, the problem is I don't have a file available. It
was done in notebook view, so I was hoping to find a way to get the recording
out of the file. Save as Web page didn't do much, besides creating a very
large html file.