Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TheMilkGuy TheMilkGuy is offline

Default Can I create an ebook with tabs down the side?

Hi folks,

I'm running Word 2010, and I'd like to make a series of ebooks for company use. Technical manuals and stuff.

However, I require tabs/buttons down the side or across the bottom to quickly move between sections. My googling has produced many a template, but nothing so far that fits.

Considering the sheer number of sections in some documents, I am sure I won't be able to fit all the buttons on the screen, so if there is some way to also implement the ability scroll through the tabs that would be ideal.

In my head I am imagining a website with frames... in ebook form. I'm probably way off base, but this is all brand new to me.

Insight greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TheMilkGuy TheMilkGuy is offline

I see what you mean, but I am hoping for something I can use cross-platform (ie: some of our folks will accessing them on an iPad)

Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Thanks

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 1:47:18 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Would a PDF work? If you make use of the built-in headings in Word and
then save as PDF, the headings would be converted to hyperlinked
entries, which you can display when you open the file in a reader.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TheMilkGuy TheMilkGuy is offline

Thanks Stefan, that might indeed fit the bill... Is there a way to display the same headings down the side of every page?

I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers,
Craig

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:54:03 AM UTC-4, Stefan Blom wrote:
Would a PDF work? If you make use of the built-in headings in Word and

then save as PDF, the headings would be converted to hyperlinked

entries, which you can display when you open the file in a reader.

--

Stefan Blom

Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That would depend on the PDF reader. The Adobe Reader displays the
linked headings/bookmarks in a pane on the left. (I'm using a version
for Windows; I'm not sure which version is supported on IPads.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP