Maura Maura is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy HELP! Un-editable Carriage Returns in Footnotes

I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document in 2 hours!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default HELP! Un-editable Carriage Returns in Footnotes

They're not "in" the footnotes; they're "in" the footnote separator.

The way to access that -- and change its formatting, in case you don't
like the line length or its indent or whatever -- is to switch to
Draft View, then go to Show Footnotes (I don't remember how to do that
in earlier Word, but if you have a Ribbon, it's at the lower right of
the Footnotes group of the References tab).

You then get a window at the bottom of the document window with a bar
above it, and in that bar is a dropdown from which you access the
Separator. Choose that, and (since you have your Non-Printing
Characters turned on) you'll see some stray paragraphs down there.
Just delete them.

--
Maura

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] itkatie321@gmail.com is offline

your answer totally fixed the problem, Peter, youre the man! i love when you can find a man who knows the answer and theres no need for further searching.. thanks!!
Kate
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

:-)

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 10:20:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
your answer totally fixed the problem, Peter, youre the man! i love when you can find a man who knows the answer and theres no need for further searching.. thanks!!
Kate

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] jcook@taskforce.org is offline

Thank you, Peter. 3+ years later since you posted this--this is still the best solution and advice I could find for this problem. Been combing help pages and getting nowhere.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I hope the folks who maintain the newer help system at the MS web site see this!

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 4:31:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thank you, Peter. 3+ years later since you posted this--this is still the best solution and advice I could find for this problem. Been combing help pages and getting nowhere.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] jedroher@gmail.com is offline

On Nov 30, 2:53*pm, Maura wrote:
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote
separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All
footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete
them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change
everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those
pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document
in 2 hours!

--
Maura

Ditto - huge help, exactly what I needed. Thank you!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] justrobin28@gmail.com is offline

On Friday, November 30, 2012 at 2:53:35 PM UTC-5, Maura wrote:
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote
separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All
footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete
them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change
everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those
pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document
in 2 hours!

--
Maura

Peter still works! Thank you this was driving me crazy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] riffraff032806@gmail.com is offline

This was so helpful Peter Thank you so much
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 3:44:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:

This was so helpful Peter Thank you so much

Nice that things haven't changed through four years of upgrades!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] thomasmhall@gmail.com is offline

Almost 5 years, and this is still the best answer on the Interwebz for this. Thanks Peter!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:32:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Almost 5 years, and this is still the best answer on the Interwebz for this. Thanks Peter!

;-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
arby arby is offline

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:51:37 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:32:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Almost 5 years, and this is still the best answer on the Interwebz for this. Thanks Peter!

;-)

But how about when there is a stray return in only one footnote and I cannot delete or even click on it and it cannot be found in the footnote separator line as described above?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] rbashant@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 9:48:07 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Maybe you marked a footnote reference Hidden Text?

Maybe the one you can't select is an actual footnote-ender and the _other_ one is the stray paragraph mark.

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 2:49:32 PM UTC-4, arby wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:51:37 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:32:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Almost 5 years, and this is still the best answer on the Interwebz for this. Thanks Peter!

;-)

But how about when there is a stray return in only one footnote and I cannot delete or even click on it and it cannot be found in the footnote separator line as described above?

I have footnote 8, 9, 10 on one page with a stray hard return after (on the following line) footnote 10. I cannot get to that hard return. If I create a page break to force footnote 10 to the next page, footnote 10 appears just above footnote 11 and the stray hard return is gone (from the original page and did not move with fn #10 to the next).?. I do not know what is happening here.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 1:21:16 PM UTC-4, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
[...]

Not in the footer and seemingly not affecting layout, mostly a bothersome unknown.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] jacquibaumgardt@gmail.com is offline

Not working for me - been to draft view, deleted the footnote separator and still have a paragraph mark before, after and even sometimes in the middle and when I try to delete them it tells me its an invalid request

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can't "delete" a footnote separator. You can only edit it.

The paragraph marks you can't delete are the marks marking the ends of footnotes.

You need to find in the text the places where there are footnotes even if (somehow)
their reference-numbers have disappeared.

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 1:10:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Not working for me - been to draft view, deleted the footnote separator and still have a paragraph mark before, after and even sometimes in the middle and when I try to delete them it tells me its an invalid request

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mo.darren@gmail.com is offline

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 1:33:38 PM UTC-7, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
You can't "delete" a footnote separator. You can only edit it.

The paragraph marks you can't delete are the marks marking the ends of footnotes.

You need to find in the text the places where there are footnotes even if (somehow)
their reference-numbers have disappeared.

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 at 1:10:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Not working for me - been to draft view, deleted the footnote separator and still have a paragraph mark before, after and even sometimes in the middle and when I try to delete them it tells me its an invalid request

Peter, you're amazing. Thank you sir!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] jhudgina@sfu.ca is offline

On Friday, November 30, 2012 at 11:53:35 AM UTC-8, Maura wrote:
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote
separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All
footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete
them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change
everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those
pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document
in 2 hours!

--
Maura

I wish this would work. I've been fighting with it for days. As soon as I touch Footnote Separator the footnotes disappear. I have a MacBook Pro, Yosemite, 10.10.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] lars3033@gmail.com is offline

Still an awesome solution at the end of 2018! Thanks.....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mercurieworld@gmail.com is offline

On Friday, November 30, 2012 at 11:53:35 PM UTC+4, Maura wrote:
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote
separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All
footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete
them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change
everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those
pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document
in 2 hours!

--
Maura

This has helped me too. Thank you so much Peter Daniels. You rock.

Thank you thank you...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] greg.r.meagher@gmail.com is offline

Eight years later and it worked for me too. Thanks Peter!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vegans in the Wild Over 50 Vegans in the Wild Over 50 is offline

On Nov 30, 2:53 pm, Maura wrote:
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote
separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All
footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete
them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change
everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those
pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document
in 2 hours!

--
Maura

Peter, you are amazing, thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joe Baker joe Baker is offline

On Nov 30, 2:53 pm, Maura wrote:
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote
separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All
footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete
them all and put them all back in with the same format. I can change
everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those
pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document
in 2 hours!

--
Maura

Peter, you are amazing, thank you!

Thanks a million Peter, spent hours trying to remove these returns, MS uninstalled my Office suite (trying to upgrade me to 365) and still couldn't offer this simple solution. November, 2020
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kym Welch Kym Welch is offline

Almost a decade later -

I'd never seen this issue before today. Glad your answer was here, easy to find, and an immediate fix. Thank you!
LeroyNorman LeroyNorman is offline
Junior Member

Location: NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura View Post
I have carriage returns in all my footnotes, after the footnote separator bar (2 carriage returns) and before the footnotes. All footnotes are like this as if the formatting is corrupted. I can delete them all and put them all back in the same format. I can change everything except I cannot select or backup over, or anyway delete those pesky horrific carriage returns. Help! I have to deliver this document in 2 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVmJ...DeborahSavadra
check this.