Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
4charity 4charity is offline

Default Directory problem

I have used the directory feature in MailMerge to create a letter, that
includes information from multiple records. It also includes fields with
common information across the records that print at the top of the letter
Name and CLaimNumber, before I include the columns of multiple data.
What I need it to do is, again display common fields at the bottom of the
letter (ExaminerName,ExaminerPhoneNumber). These fields simply do not
print now. Is there a field code I can put in to get back out of the next
record mode? Here is what I have:

Dear «Name»,

Claim Number «ClaimNumber»

The following invoices have been reviewed:

Invoice Number Invoice Amount

Thank you for your business.
«ExaminerName»
Please contact us at: «ExaminerPhoneNumber»

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot mix letter and directory merges in the same document - Fellow MVP
'macropod' has posted a tutorial on this, with working field codes and a
sample Excel data source which you can download from my website
http://www.gmayor.com/Zips/Catalogue%20Mailmerge.zip

4charity wrote:
I have used the directory feature in MailMerge to create a letter,
that includes information from multiple records. It also includes
fields with common information across the records that print at the
top of the letter Name and CLaimNumber, before I include the
columns of multiple data. What I need it to do is, again display
common fields at the bottom of the letter
(ExaminerName,ExaminerPhoneNumber). These fields simply do
not print now. Is there a field code I can put in to get back out of
the next record mode? Here is what I have:

Dear «Name»,

Claim Number «ClaimNumber»

The following invoices have been reviewed:

Invoice Number Invoice Amount

Thank you for your business.
«ExaminerName»
Please contact us at: «ExaminerPhoneNumber»

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
4charity 4charity is offline

Thanks Graham for your help. I have downloaded the tutorial, and worked
through the problem. Even though it is stated that you can't mix letter and
directory merges in the same document, here is my work-around.

Note - all of my records have identical data in the fields that I do not
want to list in the directory part of the letter (i.e. Name,
ClaimNumber, etc.)

I created a directory using the regular mailmerge wizard, and attached my
data source. Wrote the entire letter, using the fields that are identical in
all records, as in my example posted before, including the closing fields:
(Thank you for your business.
«ExaminerName»
Please contact us at: «ExaminerPhoneNumber» )

Then I put my table at the end, with the field of the records that I want to
merge from multiple records. I used the NextRecord field at the beginning
of each row, as in my previous example. I copied this field from a mailing
labels template, and pasted it in, and it worked.

Originally I rewrote my letter, so the table did not have to be in the body
of the letter, but said something like "Enclosed is your check for
checkamount with reference to the invoices listed at the end of this
letter." So the table was at the end of the letter, with the merged records,
and all of the fields with the same info were in the body of the letter.
*However*, once this was all working well, realized that you could simply
move the table with the merged records into the body of the letter, once the
merge had taken place. So the template is not that way, but once you do the
merge, the data stays, and you can simply cut and paste the table to where
you want it. We are not mass producing these letters, so it is a fine
workaround for us. I realize that if you were doing this in quantity, it may
not be a good solution. I tried writing a macro to automatically move the
table, but Word doesn't seem to like it.

Thanks again, to all who have followed and contributed to the solution to
this problem.

4charity wrote:
I have used the directory feature in MailMerge to create a letter,
that includes information from multiple records. It also includes
fields with common information across the records that print at the
top of the letter Name and CLaimNumber, before I include the
columns of multiple data. What I need it to do is, again display
common fields at the bottom of the letter
(ExaminerName,ExaminerPhoneNumber). These fields simply do
not print now. Is there a field code I can put in to get back out of
the next record mode? Here is what I have:

Dear «Name»,

Claim Number «ClaimNumber»

The following invoices have been reviewed:

Invoice Number Invoice Amount

Thank you for your business.
«ExaminerName»
Please contact us at: «ExaminerPhoneNumber»

My Documents directory Carol1 Microsoft Word Help 2 July 26th 07 02:54 AM
a directory? hirendra7158 Mailmerge 9 June 26th 07 03:35 PM
directory haliburton girl Mailmerge 5 December 16th 06 07:42 AM
change directory problem Skipper Microsoft Word Help 1 April 18th 06 06:50 PM
mail merge directory problem end of my rope Mailmerge 1 November 3rd 05 06:24 AM