Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Default autocorrect/format spaces between sentences

Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces between
sentences. When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
automatically do it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no automatic way to add extra unnecessary spaces between sentences.
This is a word processor with proportionally spaced fonts. If you want to
adopt ancient typewriter practice, then you will have to use the replace
function to add them later.

"Karen" wrote in message
Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces
between
sentences. When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
automatically do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cwiseley cwiseley is offline

A number of colleges, universities and other institutions require two
spaces between sentences. There is a way to have speech to text put in
two spaces. I just had to find out how for my dissertation. I now need
to figure out how to turn it off. If I find it I will try to post it
here.

I would also say that there is not full consensus about whether a
puctuation mark followed by one space is sufficient to signal a new
sentence. There are many exceptions to the "period one-space" sentence
signal. You can find lots of discussion on it elsewhere.

Dr. W. C. Wiseley

'Home' (http://word.mvps.org)

My web site 'Relocate' (http://www.gmayor.com)
Word MVP web site 'Home' (http://word.mvps.org)

--
cwiseley
cwiseley's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=1983

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dr-wiseley dr-wiseley is offline

Karen wrote on 03/10/2010 09:53 ET :
Using speech to text and program only adds one space between sentences. Is
there a way to setup autocorrect or autoformat to make it two spaces between
sentences. When I used spellcheck it automaticially goes to each sentence
break for me to add that space but wondered if there is a way to
automatically do it.

The APA has now gone to 2 spaces in v6 (see section 4.01) from one in v5
(section 5.11). It depends on the operating system and version of office on
how
to change it.

Under windows 7:
• access the control panel,
• access speech recognition,
• select advanced speech options,
• on the properties page, select 2 as the number of spaces between
sentences.
• exit saving all the way.
If you need the XP solution, it is in a similar place as I remember.

Hope this helps.