Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michelle H. Michelle H. is offline

Default Text form field loses formatting in Word 2010

I am trying to create a very simple form in Word 2010 (RTM, on Win7) which
has three fields: Qty, Unit Price, Ext. Price. Am using the legacy Text Form
field for each. The details on how I set up properties is below.
I restrict editing and then save it (as a DOTX, DOCX or even DOC-tried all),
and then open it to type values in my fields. Here's the problem: the fields
do not format the data as instructed. For example, I type in a unit price of
$1.50 and it saves the value of "1". That's it, just the number 1, and does
not format it as instructed (as currency). It displays the qty correctly,
but it strips out the currency formatting for Ext. Price as well. All
calculations are working (based on the values it saves in the form field, not
the values I've typed in), but the formatting is in error, and that makes the
calculation results wrong.

When I go back and view properties for each field, the number format is
blank - as if I never selected/changed it. If I select again, restrict,
save, and try again, still no formatting.
What might be causing this? I've tried in an old document and a brand new
one and the same thing happens. Information from this point forward is
supplemental about how I set properties for each field.

After I insert each field, I open the Properties and make appropriate changes:
Qty field: Number type, unlimited length, number format #,##0, calculate on
exit checked.
Unit Price field: Number type, unlimited length, number format
$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00), calculate on exit checked.
Ext price field: Calculation, unlimited length, number format
$#,##0.00;($#,##0.00), calculate on exit NOT checked.
Editing restrictions are set to allow only Filling in forms.

Thanks for any insights you might have.