Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pedro pedro is offline

Default [O/T] Drawing in Word8 - embedded defaults problem

Sorry if this is somewhat O/T and long, but it seems to be the only
Word-related group currently alive.

backgroundAs a habitual user of the Drawing functionality in Word, a
few years ago I created a detailed line drawing of our house floor
plan. This was done by laying lines over a scanned (BMP) image from
the original 1970's printed version, and then deleting the BMP. For no
particular reason I then created a PDF.

Recently I needed to do some mods but I could not locate the .DOC
version, only the PDF. Having tried on-line PDF-Word converters, I
resigned myself to repeating the original
"overlay-lines-and-delete-the-underlying-graphic" process, using RED
lines so I could readily see where I had "covered" a PDF line. All
good. Deleted PDF image and saved as .DOC. I then edited EACH line
colour to BLACK (easy, do first then select/F4, quite quick) and saved
under a new name./background

The problem I fcae is that if I load that BLACK .DOC file and say add
a line, that line will appear as RED, 3-point - obviously the
prevailing type when I added the last line to the RED original. SO
somewhere in that BLACK file the RED/3pt attributes are stored as a
default. Nothing I can do in the BLACK document will alter those -
the selections on the drawing toolbar show line colour=black, the
point size is greyed out. (Ditto RED document, linecolour=red.) So I
am left with placing lines and then editing them, or drag/copy
existing black lines and placing them as required (less effort but
still a PITA).

Am I missing something? Is it possible to change those defaults that
are embedded in the .DOC files somehow?