Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nieve Nieve is offline

Default Mail Merge - If statement

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do it for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dave Shaw Dave Shaw is offline

I would suggest that you insert a field code such as:

{ IF {MERGEFIELD Contact Name} = "No Contact" "The Manager" "{MERGEFIELD
Contact Name}"}

To do the above ensure you can see field codes - Tools, Options, view, field
codes, and insert the {} using Ctrl + F9

Hope this helps

Dave

"Nieve" wrote:

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do it for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nieve Nieve is offline

Hi Dave

Thanks a mil.

That worked great!

Nieve

"Nieve" wrote:

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do it for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nieve Nieve is offline

Hi.

I actually had to fiddle around with the code.

The correct code is

{ IF {MERGEFIELD Contact Name} = "No Contact" "The Manager" "{MERGEFIELD
Contact Name}
"}

It worked great anyhow!

Nieve

"Nieve" wrote:

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do it for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dave Shaw Dave Shaw is offline

The mergefields that you are doing the conditional argument on and the
result would normally be the same. By putting in a line break at the end of
the 'else' part will result in an additional line break if this condition is
met.

Anyway glad to be of help

"Nieve" wrote:

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do it for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Noel Noel is offline

I have a mail merge letter that pulls information from an access database. I
need to put in an IF statement that says if the type of purchase is buy back,
then it is to mail merge the amount in the Buy Back merge field, if it's a
Buy In, then it needs to merge it into the Buy In merge field. The amounts
pull from the same field in access.

Thanks

"Nieve" wrote:

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do it for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Elijah Taylor Elijah Taylor is offline

Noel wrote:
I have a mail merge letter that pulls information from an access database. I
need to put in an IF statement that says if the type of purchase is buy back,
then it is to mail merge the amount in the Buy Back merge field, if it's a
Buy In, then it needs to merge it into the Buy In merge field.

*snip*

I would probably do this by creating a query in Access which did the
same thing, and then setting up my Mail-Merge off the newly created
query. Just another way to do it, sorry if its not applicable to your
situation.

--
Elijah Taylor

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To do it in the mailmerge main document, in the where you have (or would
have the Buy Back) merge field, use

{ IF { MERGEFIELD PurchaseType } = "Buy Back" { MERGEFIELD Amount } }

and where you have (or would have the Buy In) merge field, use

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "PurchaseType } = "Buy In" { MERGEFIELD Amount } }

or something similar. You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field
delimiters { }.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nieve" wrote:

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No
Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the
data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a
way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The
Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is
completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do it
for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Noel Noel is offline

The purchase type is not a merge field, so my question would be is what do I
code the field code?
Thanks

"Nieve" wrote:

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No
Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the
data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a
way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The
Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is
completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do it
for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Noel Noel is offline

It is a field within the Access database but it is not something that gets
merged into the letter in Word. Maybe this should be something in the Access
query?
I'm a newbie to the statements that you can use so I am seeking any help i
can get.
Thanks

"Nieve" wrote:

Hi

I have a mail merge letter to send to potential clients.

Some of the data in one merge field (Contact Name) is 'No
Contact'. I
want to set a rule in the mail merge template that says when the
data 'No
Contact' is merged it is replaced with 'The Manager'. Is there a
way of doing
this?

(I know I could do Find and Replace ('No Contact' with 'The
Manager') in
excel (where the data is stored), or when the mail merge is
completed. This
is not a solution however, as I simply need the template to do
it
for me).

Thanks

Nieve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The PurchaseType field from Access can be used as a Mergefield in the way
detailed in the If...then...Else field construction, without having the
actual content of the field appear anywhere in the merge document.

Normally, I would say that manipulation such as that done by the use of
If...then...Else fields is best done in the data source if that source is a
data base. However, I understand from your original post that you want the
contents of an amount field to appear in different places in the letter
depending upon the PurchaseType.

Without seeing the actual context of where you want this information to
appear, it is difficult to tell you the best way to go about it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"Nieve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Noel Noel is offline

Would I try something like this and put it in the toggle field codes in the
Word document Select * from SERVICEPURCHASE Where TYPE OF PURCHASE =Buy In
? The end result, I need it to place the TOTAL COST in the Buy In field of
the Merge letter. If it's a Buy Back, I need it to be placed in the Buy Back
field of the Merge Letter. Nobody else in my office knows access and so I'm
sorry if I am a little clueless with this. I'm on a time crunch to get this
done, so using all I can.

Thanks so much for your help!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The PurchaseType field from Access can be used as a Mergefield in the way
detailed in the If...then...Else field construction, without having the
actual content of the field appear anywhere in the merge document.

Normally, I would say that manipulation such as that done by the use of
If...then...Else fields is best done in the data source if that source is a
data base. However, I understand from your original post that you want the
contents of an amount field to appear in different places in the letter
depending upon the PurchaseType.

Without seeing the actual context of where you want this information to
appear, it is difficult to tell you the best way to go about it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"Nieve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You do not need to be using anything like "Select * from SERVICEPURCHASE

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The PurchaseType field from Access can be used as a Mergefield in the way
detailed in the If...then...Else field construction, without having the
actual content of the field appear anywhere in the merge document.

Normally, I would say that manipulation such as that done by the use of
If...then...Else fields is best done in the data source if that source is
data base. However, I understand from your original post that you want
the
contents of an amount field to appear in different places in the letter
depending upon the PurchaseType.

Without seeing the actual context of where you want this information to
appear, it is difficult to tell you the best way to go about it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

To do it in the mailmerge main document, in the where you have (or
would
have the Buy Back) merge field, use

{ IF { MERGEFIELD PurchaseType } = "Buy Back" { MERGEFIELD
Amount } }

and where you have (or would have the Buy In) merge field, use

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "PurchaseType } = "Buy In" { MERGEFIELD
Amount } }

or something similar. You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of
field
delimiters { }.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my

"Nieve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Noel Noel is offline

I entered it in the Word Merge document as {IF {MERGEFIELD Type of
Purchase}="Buy Back" {MERGEFIELD Total Cost} but I get an error saying that
Type is not in my data source.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

The PurchaseType field from Access can be used as a Mergefield in the way
detailed in the If...then...Else field construction, without having the
actual content of the field appear anywhere in the merge document.

Normally, I would say that manipulation such as that done by the use of
If...then...Else fields is best done in the data source if that source is
data base. However, I understand from your original post that you want
the
contents of an amount field to appear in different places in the letter
depending upon the PurchaseType.

Without seeing the actual context of where you want this information to
appear, it is difficult to tell you the best way to go about it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news It is a field within the Access database but it is not something that

"Nieve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Noel Noel is offline

This database was created by someone that is no longer with the company and
they entered the field names that way. Do I need to correct the field names
in all the tables, queries, etc?

"Nieve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Try using

{IF {MERGEFIELD "Type_of_Purchase" }="Buy Back" {MERGEFIELD "Total_Cost"}

Using the mail merge helper/wizard, if you select a field from the data
source for which the name includes spaces, it automatically replaces the
space with an underscore and encloses the (modified) field name in quotation
marks.

--

"Nieve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
crae crae is offline

Doug,

I'm afraid this Service Purchase mail merge letter has now been passed over
to me. Again, using the same Access Database. Need to change an IF
statement merge field. I thought I had come upon something that would work
but it's not giving me results that I would expect. Could be my syntax is
off? I've scanned your previous threads and have tried breaking it down and
doing the Toggle Field Codes for the sections. I'll copy in what I'm seeing.

My current code:
IF {MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase } = "Buy In" { MERGEFIELD Qtrs_to_Purchase }
"IF { MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase } = "Buy Up" { MERGEFIELD Qtrs_to_Purchase
}" "0"} "}

Basically if TypeofPurchase is either Buy In or Buy Up, it needs to pull the
data from the same Qtrs_to_Purchase field, otherwise 0.

When I do the toggle field codes for the first line, it gives me this (keep
in mind that on this mail merge I'm working with the TypeofPurchase field in
our database was displaying Buy Up);

«TypeofPurchase» = "Buy In" 0
When I do the toggle field codes for the second line, it gives me this;
IF { MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase } =
When I do the toggle field code for the entire thing, it gives me the same
thing as listed directly above.

This field was originally only populated with the first statement, but due
to a requested change, it needs to incorporate whether it's either a Buy In
OR a Buy Up.

Hope you can offer some suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your time/assistance,
crae

Try using

"Dave Shaw" wrote:

I would suggest that you insert a field code such as:

{ IF {MERGEFIELD Contact Name} = "No Contact" "The
Manager"
"{MERGEFIELD
Contact Name}"}

To do the above ensure you can see field codes -
Tools,
Options,
view, field
codes, and insert the {} using Ctrl + F9

Hope this helps

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As posted, your code has various brace and/or quote characters either
absent or in excess. Your code should look more like this - none of the
newlines I have added need to be there - they are just to try to make
the structure clearer. I would suggest that you re-enter the code from
scratch (don't try to start with the existing stuff), and make sure you
select it and update all the fields using F9 before testing.

{
IF { MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase } = "Buy In"
"{ MERGEFIELD Qtrs_to_Purchase }"
"{
IF { MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase } = "Buy Up"
"{ MERGEFIELD Qtrs_to_Purchase }"
"0"
}"
}

You could probably get away with fewer quotes e.g.

{
IF { MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase } = "Buy In"
{ MERGEFIELD Qtrs_to_Purchase }
{
IF { MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase } = "Buy Up"
{ MERGEFIELD Qtrs_to_Purchase }
"0"
}
}

but personally I prefer to spell it all out as follows:

{
IF "{ MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase }" = "Buy In"
"{ MERGEFIELD Qtrs_to_Purchase }"
"{
IF "{ MERGEFIELD TypeofPurchase }" = "Buy Up"
"{ MERGEFIELD Qtrs_to_Purchase }"
"0"
}"
}

Don't forget that every pair of {} needs to be the special field code
braces that you can enter with ctrl-F9

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

crae wrote:
[...]

Try using

"Dave Shaw" wrote:

I would suggest that you insert a field code such as:

{ IF {MERGEFIELD Contact Name} = "No Contact" "The
Manager"
"{MERGEFIELD
Contact Name}"}

To do the above ensure you can see field codes -
Tools,
Options,
view, field
codes, and insert the {} using Ctrl + F9

Hope this helps

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
crae crae is offline

Peter,

Thank you for the quick reply. Wow. Your suggestions and examples worked
well. Part of my hang up was not using the ctrl+F9 to create the brackets,
even before the IF word. You said in your reply to watch out for this.
Rightly so.

I'm not getting the exact data qty I was expecting but will look into that
some more on my end (atleast it IS stating 0 which was my default if the
criteria wasn't met). You have my formula working well - all parts are in
place. Thank you Peter.

Can I ask another question? Within this merge letter, there is a merge
field titled Due_Date. I'm expecting the data to come in with the following
format 12/22/08. Currently it's displaying 2009-06-16 00:00:00
The Due Date field in the Access Database is not formatted like that, why
does it display in Word like that?

Thanks for all your time/trouble. You've already made my holidays happier.
.. .I'd been wrestling with that syntax for a week now. It must be fun to
know so much about particular things.

crae

crae wrote:
[...]

Try using

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

To do it in the mailmerge main document, in the where you
have
(or
would
have the Buy Back) merge field, use

{ IF { MERGEFIELD PurchaseType } = "Buy Back" { MERGEFIELD
Amount } }

and where you have (or would have the Buy In) merge field,
use

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "PurchaseType } = "Buy In" { MERGEFIELD
Amount } }

or something similar. You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each
pair
of
field
delimiters { }.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail
yourself

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Can I ask another question? Within this merge letter, there is a merge
field titled Due_Date. I'm expecting the data to come in with the

following
format 12/22/08. Currently it's displaying 2009-06-16 00:00:00
The Due Date field in the Access Database is not formatted like that,

why
does it display in Word like that?

There are a number of things to bear in mind when it comes to formatting.

First, Access itself really has two parts - the Access "front end",
which really handles presentation, forms, reports etc., and the
"database engine", which stores and retrieves data. In a simple .mdb,
the database engine is Jet (or ACE in an Access 2007 .accdb), although
Access can use other engines in various ways.

So when you define a date column in an Access table, Jet itself
(probably) will store the column as a date or datetime column, and it
probably does not know anything about the display format you have
defined - i.e. although the formats are defined in Jet tables in the
..mdb, Jet does not know what that data means - only the Access frontend
knows.

(Actually I don't know that that is exactly how Access/Jet treats the
data but it will be something like that)

Second, Word has several different methods for connecting to Access data
- DDE, ODBC, and in Word 2002 and later, OLE DB. DDE was the default
method in Word 2000 and earlier, and OLE DB is the default method in
Word 2002 and later. DDE works by starting Access (if necessary), then
getting Access to open the database and retrieve the data on behalf of
Word. So when Word is using DDE, you may find that data is being
formatted according to the rules that the front end knows about (I can't
remember in this particular case). However, when you use ODBC or OLE DB,
Word does not use Access at all - it uses the Jet or ACE engine
directly. So what you get is what that engine returns.

Typically you can alter the format returned by using a date format
switch in your Word mailmerge document, e.g.

{ MERGEFIELD mydate \@"MM/DD/YYYY" }

for typical U.S. date format. However, it is as well to ensure that
a. month and day are not reversed in this situation when they are
ambiguous, e.g. 6th July, 7th June
b. null dates are not appearing as if they are real dates.

If you have trouble with these date switches not working, the simplest
fix is probably to write a query in Access that formats the date as a
text string with either the exact format you want, or is formatted as
YYYY-MM-DD . In the latter case, Word's date switches should work as you
expect.

Season's greetings,

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

[...]