Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Shirley is offline

Default The same normal.dotm at first for all users of student PCs

Here's the problem:
Students shall log in to Vista computers using their own personal login
names. I've found useful tips on where the personal Normal.dotm is generally
stored and where its default path dan be defined/changed.
Still, how to make MS Office 2007 Word understand that each student
should get the same Normal.dotm that has been fine tuned to the document
standard of our country when they open Word 2007 the first time. It would
then ideally be copied as their personal Normal.dotm to the default folder.
Such a template could, of course, be situated somewhere else to be used
by commands Office button New.- Which of the categories is the most
sensible one to store the template in that case?

--
Microsoft rules
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

It would
then ideally be copied as their personal Normal.dotm to the default
folder.

Word is not the tool to do this with; it needs doing before Word starts, and
should be handled either when the userids are created, or by a logon script.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Shirley" wrote in message
Here's the problem:
Students shall log in to Vista computers using their own personal login
names. I've found useful tips on where the personal Normal.dotm is
generally
stored and where its default path dan be defined/changed.
Still, how to make MS Office 2007 Word understand that each student
should get the same Normal.dotm that has been fine tuned to the document
standard of our country when they open Word 2007 the first time. It would
then ideally be copied as their personal Normal.dotm to the default
folder.
Such a template could, of course, be situated somewhere else to be used
by commands Office button New.- Which of the categories is the most
sensible one to store the template in that case?

--
Microsoft rules

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Shirley is offline

Thank you tony!
I kind of thought it would come to that. We shall have to go deeper.
Shirley

"Shirley" wrote in message
Here's the problem:
Students shall log in to Vista computers using their own personal login
names. I've found useful tips on where the personal Normal.dotm is
generally
stored and where its default path dan be defined/changed.
Still, how to make MS Office 2007 Word understand that each student
should get the same Normal.dotm that has been fine tuned to the document
standard of our country when they open Word 2007 the first time. It would
then ideally be copied as their personal Normal.dotm to the default
folder.
Such a template could, of course, be situated somewhere else to be used
by commands Office button New.- Which of the categories is the most
sensible one to store the template in that case?

--
Microsoft rules

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Shirley is offline

Another approach to creation of a template file:
Let's imagine that the personal Normal.dotm files of all users of a PC
were deleted, where is the file with default settings that Word 2007 uses to
create a new Normal.dotm and what is the name of the file?
How could one change the contents of that file?

--
Shirley

"Shirley" wrote in message
Here's the problem:
Students shall log in to Vista computers using their own personal login
names. I've found useful tips on where the personal Normal.dotm is
generally
stored and where its default path dan be defined/changed.
Still, how to make MS Office 2007 Word understand that each student
should get the same Normal.dotm that has been fine tuned to the document
standard of our country when they open Word 2007 the first time. It would
then ideally be copied as their personal Normal.dotm to the default
folder.
Such a template could, of course, be situated somewhere else to be used
by commands Office button New.- Which of the categories is the most
sensible one to store the template in that case?

--
Microsoft rules

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The new default normal.dotm is created whenever that file is not present in
the user templates folder and the user takes the option to save changes when
Word is closed (or Word is allowed to save the changes automatically). You
could then edit that file to provide the results you require. For students
especially with shared access (and I would not recommend this method for
other users, who should have the facility to retain normal template
personalisations) you could arrange for that edited file to be copied to the
user's User Templates folder on log-in to replace any existing normal
template in that folder. For business users, it would be better to create
document templates for company documents and leave the normal template to
the user.

"Shirley" wrote in message
Here's the problem:
Students shall log in to Vista computers using their own personal
login names. I've found useful tips on where the personal
Normal.dotm is generally
stored and where its default path dan be defined/changed.
Still, how to make MS Office 2007 Word understand that each
student should get the same Normal.dotm that has been fine tuned to
the document standard of our country when they open Word 2007 the
first time. It would then ideally be copied as their personal
Normal.dotm to the default folder.
Such a template could, of course, be situated somewhere else to
be used by commands Office button New.- Which of the categories
is the most sensible one to store the template in that case?

--
Microsoft rules

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

.... and to answer Shirley's question directly, there is no "file with default
settings" to modify. The default settings are stored within the Word program and
can't be modified.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Shirley" wrote in message
Here's the problem:
Students shall log in to Vista computers using their own personal
login names. I've found useful tips on where the personal
Normal.dotm is generally
stored and where its default path dan be defined/changed.
Still, how to make MS Office 2007 Word understand that each
student should get the same Normal.dotm that has been fine tuned to
the document standard of our country when they open Word 2007 the
first time. It would then ideally be copied as their personal
Normal.dotm to the default folder.
Such a template could, of course, be situated somewhere else to
be used by commands Office button New.- Which of the categories
is the most sensible one to store the template in that case?

--
Microsoft rules

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Shirley is offline

Thank you very much Graham!
So nice to deal with true professionals.
--
Shirley from Scandinavia

"Shirley" wrote in message
Here's the problem:
Students shall log in to Vista computers using their own personal
login names. I've found useful tips on where the personal
Normal.dotm is generally
stored and where its default path dan be defined/changed.
Still, how to make MS Office 2007 Word understand that each
student should get the same Normal.dotm that has been fine tuned to
the document standard of our country when they open Word 2007 the
first time. It would then ideally be copied as their personal
Normal.dotm to the default folder.
Such a template could, of course, be situated somewhere else to
be used by commands Office button New.- Which of the categories
is the most sensible one to store the template in that case?

--
Microsoft rules

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shirley Shirley is offline