Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Les Les is offline

Default a not yet unstalled 2007 is hijacking my fully installed 2003

2007 came with my new Vista computer last year with out a license. I own
Office 2003 and installed it instead. They both existed on my system without
conflict for about a year. An update last week has caused Word 2003 to no
longer be recognized. Outlook cannot find it. DOC's are opened with the the
unregistered 2007. I can nolonger modify my own documents! All attempt's
(Short of a reinstall of 2003) have failed to get Vista to recognize the
authorized 2003 version.

I have replaced the 2003 winword.exe and it will run if directly run but
Vista will not accept it as a default for DOC's and Outlook still does not
find it.

I went to uninstall 2007 and only found an activation assistant and a
compatability pack, but office 2007 nor word 2007 are not listed as installed.

How do I get Vista to recognize my licensed 2003?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Put your cursor on the name of any .doc file, right-click, choose Open
With ..., pick one of the WinWord.exe's that will be available, and
check the box for "Always use this application to open files with this
extension" (or something like that).

If the wrong Word still opens, then do it again but tell it to use the
_other_ of the two that appear.

On May 18, 11:04*am, Les wrote:
2007 came with my new Vista computer last year with out a license. I own
Office 2003 and installed it instead. They both existed on my system without
conflict for about a year. An update last week has caused Word 2003 to no
longer be recognized. Outlook cannot find it. DOC's are opened with the the
unregistered 2007. I can nolonger modify my own documents! All attempt's
(Short of a reinstall of 2003) have failed to get Vista to recognize the
authorized 2003 version.

I have replaced the 2003 winword.exe and it will run if directly run but
Vista will not accept it as a default for DOC's and Outlook still does not
find it.

I went to uninstall 2007 and only found an activation assistant and a
compatability pack, but office 2007 nor word 2007 are not listed as installed.

How do I get Vista to recognize my licensed 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

You might find that 2007 is still the default program for opening docs that
are email attachments. The best thing to do is delete Office 2007 under
Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

"Les" wrote:

2007 came with my new Vista computer last year with out a license. I own
Office 2003 and installed it instead. They both existed on my system without
conflict for about a year. An update last week has caused Word 2003 to no
longer be recognized. Outlook cannot find it. DOC's are opened with the the
unregistered 2007. I can nolonger modify my own documents! All attempt's
(Short of a reinstall of 2003) have failed to get Vista to recognize the
authorized 2003 version.

I have replaced the 2003 winword.exe and it will run if directly run but
Vista will not accept it as a default for DOC's and Outlook still does not
find it.

I went to uninstall 2007 and only found an activation assistant and a
compatability pack, but office 2007 nor word 2007 are not listed as installed.

How do I get Vista to recognize my licensed 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Les Les is offline

I have tried this and the 2007 version is the only version recognized by Vista.

I used the brouse function and selected the 2003 version, It made no
difference.

On May 18, 11:04 am, Les wrote:
2007 came with my new Vista computer last year with out a license. I own
Office 2003 and installed it instead. They both existed on my system without
conflict for about a year. An update last week has caused Word 2003 to no
longer be recognized. Outlook cannot find it. DOC's are opened with the the
unregistered 2007. I can nolonger modify my own documents! All attempt's
(Short of a reinstall of 2003) have failed to get Vista to recognize the
authorized 2003 version.

I have replaced the 2003 winword.exe and it will run if directly run but
Vista will not accept it as a default for DOC's and Outlook still does not
find it.

I went to uninstall 2007 and only found an activation assistant and a
compatability pack, but office 2007 nor word 2007 are not listed as installed.

How do I get Vista to recognize my licensed 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Les Les is offline

That was my thought but I do not see Word 2007 listed. The only reference to
2007 is the activation assistant and the compatability pack.

What should I be removing?

"Les" wrote:

2007 came with my new Vista computer last year with out a license. I own
Office 2003 and installed it instead. They both existed on my system without
conflict for about a year. An update last week has caused Word 2003 to no
longer be recognized. Outlook cannot find it. DOC's are opened with the the
unregistered 2007. I can nolonger modify my own documents! All attempt's
(Short of a reinstall of 2003) have failed to get Vista to recognize the
authorized 2003 version.

I have replaced the 2003 winword.exe and it will run if directly run but
Vista will not accept it as a default for DOC's and Outlook still does not
find it.

I went to uninstall 2007 and only found an activation assistant and a
compatability pack, but office 2007 nor word 2007 are not listed as installed.

How do I get Vista to recognize my licensed 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hmm. After I installed the Vista SP1, it decided to open .docx files
in Word2003, but it was easy to fix with the method I described. Maybe
it _really_ wants you to buy 2007.

On May 18, 11:04 am, Les wrote:
2007 came with my new Vista computer last year with out a license. I own
Office 2003 and installed it instead. They both existed on my system without
conflict for about a year. An update last week has caused Word 2003 to no
longer be recognized. Outlook cannot find it. DOC's are opened with the the
unregistered 2007. I can nolonger modify my own documents! All attempt's
(Short of a reinstall of 2003) have failed to get Vista to recognize the
authorized 2003 version.

I have replaced the 2003 winword.exe and it will run if directly run but
Vista will not accept it as a default for DOC's and Outlook still does not
find it.

I went to uninstall 2007 and only found an activation assistant and a
compatability pack, but office 2007 nor word 2007 are not listed as installed.

How do I get Vista to recognize my licensed 2003?-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It would be listed as Office 2007, however if it is not present you will
have to uninstall it from the original setup files.
See also http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm