Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MatthewS MatthewS is offline

Default Tried the TaskPaneController ; now my menus / icons are doubling u

I tried using the TaskPaneController that was helpful enough in getting the
Task Pane to not open, but now it doesn't matter what I do to the Tools
Customize etc to change the menus, the same ones keep coming up, even if I
delete them.

Also, for the menus that are there, most of the time they have each of the
icons up there twice, which leans to menus taking over the screen. I can
change them, pull the duplicates off, set the menus straight, but I only get
to use it normally for that session, because even if it's the only
application running, and I shut it down and start it up, the mess-load o'
menus and icons are back.

I would have been happy slapping ctrl-F1 before doing this. Is there any
way to reverse this?

If it involves removing and reloading Word, I think I'd be happy doing that
if that would work. Anything that anyone has been able to do if they have
seen similar oddness, I'd be happy to hear any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

How very odd! It just so happens that I created the Task Pane
Controller and I don't see how it would cause problems with your
toolbars - if it does this would be the first I've heard of it
happening. :-)

First, don't panic. This is all easily rectified and reinstalling Word
won't correct the problem.

What I suspect is you have another add-in that is programmatically
modifying your toolbars/menu when Word starts and the addition of the
Task Pane Controller, which integrates the menu item under the Tools
menu using a global template rather than programmatically adding the
menu item each time Word starts, was enough of a change to make the
add-in's code malfunction. It's not uncommon for an add-in that isn't
coded property to freak out and start multiplying its toolbar/menu
items faster than bunnies when an new element is introduced, such as
an additional command from another add-in or simply by you customizing
it, is added to your menu bar/toolbar.

What menus exactly are over populating?

Also, exit Word and go to Start/Run and start Word using this command:

winword /a

Note the space before the forward slash. This will start Word in a
troubleshooting mode and prevent add-ins from loading so you shouldn't
end up with new menus. Then go to Tools/Templates and Add-ins and let
us know what is listed in the Global templates and add-ins section. I
know TaskPaneController.dot will be there but are there any others?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"MatthewS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MatthewS MatthewS is offline

Default Tried the TaskPaneController ; now my menus / icons are doubli

There's nothing there now... in trying to get it to stop happening, I moved
the:
TaskPaneController.dot
to a backup folder, and I put the original:
normal.dot
in, to see if that would help. I think it helped a little, but I wasn't
sure if something was there beforehand or not, so I then removed normal.dot
from that directory, and just went with that. That made things a little
better, but still it's a bit quirky.
Maybe it wasn't possible before, I don't know, but I can't delete any
toolbars [the ones I have created], so they are always there now.

As for other add-ins, I haven't added any that wouldn't have come with the
original instal [I don't see any].

Let me know if this helps. I appreciate the reply.

"MatthewS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'm not sure what you mean by "put the original Normal.dot". You
should only see Normal.dot listed in the Document Template path,
provided the document you are looking at was based on Normal.dot, and
it shouldn't be in the list of Global Templates and Add-ins. If it is
then that may be why you are unable to remove toolbars you created.

As for other add-ins, many third-party manufacturers automatically add
one to integrate their software with Word. They usually come with
other programs and sometimes even with a printer or fax.

Also, which toolbar/menus are you seeing duplicated?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"MatthewS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MatthewS MatthewS is offline

The Normal.dot is the original template from the template directory. When
things went haywire after I tried running that TaskPaneControl thing from the
MVP site, I found the TaskPaneController.dot file there, being used every
time Word opened. Since I'm not an expert and everything was as bad as it
was, I didn't know if a template had to be there for Word to run or not, so I
put the Normal.dot there. I ran Word a couple times, and then took it out.
It's not there anymore.

It certainly isn't the cause of the problems. I was simply trying to figure
out what was going on. So, as for the normal.dot, it was a brief thing after
my Word program started doing what it did [which is right after I ran that
program, which I wish I never had].

As for what is duplicating -- the toolbars that I have created and used for
the past year, they duplicate. Also, the icon groups on the "Formatting"
toolbar [each group duplicates itself right after each other... and by
groups, I mean the ones separated by the "separator" lines... the ones that
can be created by clicking on "begin group" in the customize menu.

And by saying my customized toolbars duplicated, I mean they do onscreen in
Word, as well as in the menu for toolbars if you click to customize and then
the Toolbar tab.

So, that's what happened... my attempting to do something, anything, by
putting a copy of Normal.dot into the add-in directory did not cause this.
Nor do I have any third-party or any add-ins in there. I've never put one in
there. The first one I ever have on this computer is that TaskPaneControl
thing, to fix having to always shut that thing down every single time I start
up, which is frustrating because it is not needed every time I start up. But
I'll stick with clicking ctrl-f1 before having to waste my Sunday afternoon
on that again.

You mentioned this is easily rectified, so if there's something I'm supposed
to do, I'd love to hear it. I'd ask how to make help search only on the
local computer first before having to a search, and then click on local
computer only, but I can only imagine what the fix for that would do.

"MatthewS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Well Matthew, first let me tell you I'm very sorry you encountered
this difficulty. Like I mentioned previously, this is the first I've
ever heard anything like this and folks have been downloading it and
using it for about 4 years now. Since it only contains a customized
menu with a single menu item I'm still trying to ascertain how it
could possibly have caused what you describe other than it happened to
be a catalyst for an underlying issue.

Now, if your Task Pane displays every time Word starts and if you used
Tools/Options/General, turned off the "Show startup task pane" option
but it still continued to show when Word started then I'd say you
probably have an Adobe add-in since it's known to cause this issue.
It's also known to modify your toolbars/menu each time Word starts. In
that case it's a COM Add-ins which is added by the Registry rather
than a Startup folder so it won't display in the Global Templates and
Add-ins list. If you want to find it then let us know and we can
provide the instructions.

Anyway, if you have duplicated toolbars then what I suggest is you
recreate your Normal.dot. Rename it to OldNormal.dot and Word will
create a new one upon starting. Then, you can copy one set of your
custom toolbars from OldNormal.dot to your new one using the Organizer
found under Tools/Template and add-ins.

I hesitate to tell you how to make Help search only offline and then
give you the option to search online if you want since I'm not sure
you have a lot of faith in me right now. grin But if you want the
instructions here they a

1. On the Help menu, click Customer Feedback Options
2. Select the Online Content category
3. Turn ON: Show Content and links from Microsoft Office Online
4. Turn OFF: Search online content when connected

This configuration will search offline Help content first. Then to
search updated content use the "For additional and updated content,
search Microsoft Office Online" link at the top of the Search Results
pane.

Also, if you used the controller to turn the task pane off at startup
then you really don't need it anymore since it changed a setting in
the Registry. So hopefully you won't see the task pane each time Word
starts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests
for

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/