J Streger

Default TOC and Direct Formatting

I am creating a table of contents in Word 2000. Currently I am using 2
different Table of contents, one for the outline section, and one for the
Appendix. 2 questions:

1) Is there a way use a TOC that is based off the style heading 1, where in
the main body heading 1 is 12pt font, and in the Appendix it's 20 pt font?
When I do this, the TOC uses the Heading 1 font per each entry, and I get
huge Appendix entries as it's making those entries 20Pt font. I must keep
both the appendix and outline lines at their respective fonts.

2) Is there a way to grab 2 consecutive lines onto 1 TOC entry? Say you have
'Appendix 1' on one line, and the description on the next line. In the TOC I
want the it to say 'Appendix 1' + description. I have tried using hard, and
soft returns, and even restricting the margins so I didn't use a return, but
they still appear as 2 separate lines.

Any help would be most appreciated.

--
J Streger

Use a different style for the appendix titles so that you don't have to
apply direct formatting (which the TOC will always pick up). See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

A line break (Shift+Enter) in a heading should translate into a space in the
TOC unless you have inserted the switch that preserves the line break (which
I assume you haven't).