Baylea90

Default autotext not entering correct data

When I click on any autotext button, it just adds the description e.g if I
click on file name it just add the words 'filename' or if i click pages, it
just add the word 'pages' and not any data. I have tried alt & F9 but that is
not the solution as the data does not come up in brackets

Shauna Kelly

Hi Baylea90

Here are some trouble-shooting steps to follow:

1. Tools Options View. In the Field Shading box, choose Always. This
will show all fields shaded in grey. The shading won't print, and you can
come back here later and turn it off if you don't want it.

2. Now, try inserting the Filename or Page number autotext again. Is it
displayed with grey shading? Do Alt-F9. That toggles back and forth between
displaying field results and displaying field codes. You should see {
FILENAME } or { page } or something similar.

3. If the Filename or Page number autotext does not display with grey
shading, and Alt-F9 does not toggle between display of field codes and
display of field results, then it looks like the Autotext is simply
inserting some text, and is not inserting the right field. As a final check,
do Insert Autotext Autotext. Click on the Filename entry. The "Preview"
section should be empty.

4. If you're convinced that the Autotexts have somehow been replaced with
straight text, you could re-create each one individually. It might be
easier, however, to exit Word, use Windows Explorer to re-name normal.dot to
normalold.dot, and then re-start Word. That will create a new normal.dot,
with all the standard AutoTexts. You can then use Tools Templates and
Add-ins Organiser to copy any customizations from your normalold.dot to
the new normal.dot.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word