Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Rename files based on a value in a Field?

The following is a request from a friend. If these were Excel files,
with an asset number in a cell, I could write a macro to accomplish
his goal.

Since they're Word files, I'm clueless...your thoughts would be
appreciated.

Thanks!

"I have an old database application that stored files as Word
documents. Each file has the same layout, with an asset number in the
same field. I was able to pull the Word files off to a share and now I
want to change the file name to the asset number without having to
open each file, looking at the number, and then changing it. Does
anyone know of a utility that can do this?"