Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Totally Frustrated

Default turn of "requesting virus scan" in word

I am using XP Home, Word 2002. On openeiong, Word it takes extended time
"requesting virus scan". I have followed all the links on advice boards about
turning off office pugins in Nortons AV 2006. I have done this but it has no
effect. I have just installed NAV 2006 and it still does it. It was doing it
before with NAV 2004 version and continues to do it with the new 2006
version. By the way I have tried this many times but still with no luck
Please any help. - Totally frustrated
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Amen to that!

--

JoAnn Paules - AVG user since 2003
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Chuck Davis" newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com wrote in message
Stop paying the extortion money to Norton. Download the free AVG Antivirus
program to your desktop from http://free.grisoft.com Uninstall NAV 2006
and then install AVG. You will be forever grateful.
"Totally Frustrated" Totally wrote
in message ...
I am using XP Home, Word 2002. On openeiong, Word it takes extended time
"requesting virus scan". I have followed all the links on advice boards
about
turning off office pugins in Nortons AV 2006. I have done this but it has
no
effect. I have just installed NAV 2006 and it still does it. It was doing
it
before with NAV 2004 version and continues to do it with the new 2006
version. By the way I have tried this many times but still with no luck
Please any help. - Totally frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office
programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in".

Totally Frustrated wrote:
I am using XP Home, Word 2002. On openeiong, Word it takes extended time
"requesting virus scan". I have followed all the links on advice boards about
turning off office pugins in Nortons AV 2006. I have done this but it has no
effect. I have just installed NAV 2006 and it still does it. It was doing it
before with NAV 2004 version and continues to do it with the new 2006
version. By the way I have tried this many times but still with no luck
Please any help. - Totally frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Office MVP Beth Melton recently reported her discovery that "If there are
any WLL add-ins in the Startup folders they will trigger this message even
if the user doesn't have any type of virus scanner enabled. Apparently, MS
is using the virus scanning engine to check for macros in WLL files and as a
result it triggers the message. Note other than checking for macros it isn't
actually performing a virus scan....One add-in I know of that still uses a
WLL is EndNote." So you might check your Word and Office Startup folders for
..wll files.

"Totally Frustrated" Totally wrote in
message ...
I am using XP Home, Word 2002. On openeiong, Word it takes extended time
"requesting virus scan". I have followed all the links on advice boards

about
turning off office pugins in Nortons AV 2006. I have done this but it has

no
effect. I have just installed NAV 2006 and it still does it. It was doing

it
before with NAV 2004 version and continues to do it with the new 2006
version. By the way I have tried this many times but still with no luck
Please any help. - Totally frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I too now use AVG, but it isn't going to resolve this problem, and has its
own link with Word that produces the same message. It is first necessary to
unregister and remove the dll that is causing the problem.

Checking of Word/Office documents can usually be deselected in the AV
program e.g. in Norton AV by turning off its Office Plug-in.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Grisoft's AVG antivirus software if installed, will require similar
treatment. In this instance:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"

Amen to that!

wrote in message
I am using XP Home, Word 2002. On openeiong, Word it takes extended
time "requesting virus scan". I have followed all the links on
advice boards about
turning off office pugins in Nortons AV 2006. I have done this but
it has no
effect. I have just installed NAV 2006 and it still does it. It was
doing it
before with NAV 2004 version and continues to do it with the new
2006 version. By the way I have tried this many times but still
with no luck Please any help. - Totally frustrated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Totally Frustrated

That's what the problem was. I have Endnote installed, with WLLL addin file.
I deleted it, and now I don't get the message. Thanks. I'm not sure Endnote
works properely yet, but thats another issue. Since I don't use it as often
as Word, I may just put up with that. Thanks again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] rsrros135@gmail.com is offline

When you say office plug in what do you mean - I have McAfee added word file to exclude list still doing it. When real time scan off word is fine. Exactly which file do I need to put on mcafee scan exclude list?