Donna

Default View images in Word document attachments

dhen opening a Word document that is an attachment in an email, I cannot see
any of the images. There is no red "X" box indicating an image, on which to
"right click", so I don't think this is a filtering issue. I think a setting
changed somewhere in Outlook or in Word when I did the last automatic update
in Windows XP professional. Just can't find it. Have Outlook 2003
garfield-n-odie

In Word, if you're working in Normal view, switch to Print Layout view
(View | Print Layout), because objects that are formatted as "float over
text" (Word 97) or *not* "inline with text" (Word 2002 and 2003) are not
visible in Normal view. In Word, click on Tools | Options | View tab |
check the "Drawings" box and uncheck the "Picture placeholders" box |
Print tab | check the "Drawing objects" box | OK. If neither of the
prevous suggestions fixes the problem, then try reducing the hardware
acceleration setting in Start | Control Panel | Display | Advanced |
Troubleshooting.

Donna wrote:

dhen opening a Word document that is an attachment in an email, I cannot see
any of the images. There is no red "X" box indicating an image, on which to
"right click", so I don't think this is a filtering issue. I think a setting
changed somewhere in Outlook or in Word when I did the last automatic update
in Windows XP professional. Just can't find it. Have Outlook 2003

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Make sure your temp files have been cleared. A red X where an image
should be means that there are not enough resources on your computer
to display the image properly. (Unless you are using an unpatched
version of 97, where that was a valid bug.)

Particularly, when opening attachments from email to Word...which
sucks up a ton of excess resources and appears to be particularly
nasty in OL 2003...you need lots of free resources to get the file to
open properly (and it can often crash if there isn't enough). In your
case, the images are just being restricted for now.

See this article for info re how to get the most out of your system

Maintaining Your Computer
http://www.mousetrax.com/maintain.html

You can also try saving the Word file off and opening it without using
OL in the mix. This should solve the problem temporarily. But the
overall problem will be resources. So clean up your temp files and it
should work better in the future. Although you may also need to
restrict what other apps you have running if your system isn't
powerful enough to handle a lot of pull on it.

Good luck...

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 04:33:02 -0800, "Donna"
wrote:

dhen opening a Word document that is an attachment in an email, I cannot see
any of the images. There is no red "X" box indicating an image, on which to
"right click", so I don't think this is a filtering issue. I think a setting
changed somewhere in Outlook or in Word when I did the last automatic update
in Windows XP professional. Just can't find it. Have Outlook 2003

Donna

This worked perfectly. thank u so much.

I thought it was just a setting somewhere but couldn't
figure it out.

That's great!

.