Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jesse[_2_] Jesse[_2_] is offline

Default page numbers line up in TOC

I'm using Office Word 2003 sp3. In my inserted table of contents not all the
page numbers line up on the right side.

what I have:
Heading 1..............4
Heading 2..........4
Heading 3..........5
Heading 1..............6

what I want:
Heading 1..............4
Heading 2............4
Heading 3..........5
Heading 1..............6

How can I get the page numbers for Heading 2 to line up with Heading 1 and 3?
--
Jesse
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

ToC are styles, so Heading 1 uses TOC 1 style, Heading 2 TOC 2 style and so
on. You need to check the formatting of the style, particular the
right-aligned tab stop which should all be the same.

An easy solution is to select an instance of a particular misaligned TOC
(say just a level 3 TOC), and drag the tab marker in the ruler to align with
the others. Then whilst still with the TOC 3 selected, right-click TOC 3 in
the style list on the Home ribbon and choose 'Update TOC 3 to match
selection' from the context menu. Now all the TOC 3s will realign.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Jesse" wrote in message
I'm using Office Word 2003 sp3. In my inserted table of contents not all
the
page numbers line up on the right side.

what I have:
Heading 1..............4
Heading 2..........4
Heading 3..........5
Heading 1..............6

what I want:
Heading 1..............4
Heading 2............4
Heading 3..........5
Heading 1..............6

How can I get the page numbers for Heading 2 to line up with Heading 1 and
3?
--
Jesse

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Since TOC styles are set to update automatically, it will suffice to change
the tab stop in a single entry at any given level.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jesse" wrote in message
I'm using Office Word 2003 sp3. In my inserted table of contents not all
the
page numbers line up on the right side.

what I have:
Heading 1..............4
Heading 2..........4
Heading 3..........5
Heading 1..............6

what I want:
Heading 1..............4
Heading 2............4
Heading 3..........5
Heading 1..............6

How can I get the page numbers for Heading 2 to line up with Heading 1
and 3?
--
Jesse

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

TOC styles are one case where I leave it enabled. One thing I've noticed,
though, is that paragraph formatting is propagated, but changes in font
formatting don't seem to be picked up, so for that I do have to go to Modify
Style.