Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryan Watt Bryan Watt is offline

Default Embedded Excel spreadsheet in Word 2003

I have a terminal server with office 2003 pro installed. I have one user that
works for a while with a new profile then had problems with a word document
with an embedded excel spreadsheet. It only displays a red X in the upper
left corner for the object area where the excel file is suppose to be in the
document. If you right click the object and click worksheet object, open it
opens and when you close it you get the message: error! Not a valid embedded
object. This has worked for some time before this starts happening. No one
else has the issue. What is going on that could cause this for the user? Like
I said if I create a new profile it works for a while then does the same
thing again. The server is Windows 2003 Standard and Office is 2003 Pro sp2.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QnJ5YW4gV2F0dA==?=,

Well... This kind of thing has happened with the Norton Anti Virus Plug-in. So
the first place I'd start looking is things that are installed and running as
Add-ins under Windows, and then under Word. Start each (separately) in Safe Mode
to narrow down which kind of Add-in it could be.

I have a terminal server with office 2003 pro installed. I have one user that
works for a while with a new profile then had problems with a word document
with an embedded excel spreadsheet. It only displays a red X in the upper
left corner for the object area where the excel file is suppose to be in the
document. If you right click the object and click worksheet object, open it
opens and when you close it you get the message: error! Not a valid embedded
object. This has worked for some time before this starts happening. No one
else has the issue. What is going on that could cause this for the user? Like
I said if I create a new profile it works for a while then does the same
thing again. The server is Windows 2003 Standard and Office is 2003 Pro sp2.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryan Watt Bryan Watt is offline

This is a Terminal/citrix environment which has 6 servers load balanced. I
can't start in safe mode for this user. This only applies to one user not all
users. The only added application is a program that uses Excel. This is also
added to one other user and that user is fine. I'm not sure what is blocking
this feature.

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QnJ5YW4gV2F0dA==?=,

This is a Terminal/citrix environment which has 6 servers load balanced. I
can't start in safe mode for this user. This only applies to one user not all
users. The only added application is a program that uses Excel. This is also
added to one other user and that user is fine. I'm not sure what is blocking
this feature.

Well, something is interfering with the "conversation" between OLE server and
OLE client. You have to track it down by excluding possible sources (Addins,
usually). More than that, I really can't say. Since you've already tried with a
new profile, it must be something this user has, but from this remove no one
here can possibly tell you exactly what it might be.