Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ron Ron is offline

Default cross-references and captions - again

Well, I still can't figure out how to get my cross-refernces and captions to
update properly.

So if anyone has any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's my old post:

I work with large user manuals containing many figure and table captions
which are cross-referenced.

Since I'm writing similar documents for multiple products, I do a lot of
copying and pasting paragraphs, tables, etc. between sections and documents.

My basic problem is with keeping the numbering of my cross-references tied
to their respective captions. If I copy/move one section to another place in
my document, the captions can be updated, but their cross-references can't.

How can I keep a cross-reference "linked" to its corresponding caption
regardless of where I copy/move them to?

Here's an example.

Imagine the following is in section 2 of "document 1".

The physical dimensions of the ???? are listed below and shown in Figure
2-2.

some image here

Figure 2-2: ???? Physical Dimensions

So, the first sentence has a cross-reference (Figure 2-2) to the cation
(Figure 2-2) in the table.

Now, I copy the sentence and table above and paste it into section 5 of
"document 2". I update my fields and the following is the result.

The physical dimensions of the ???? are listed below and shown in Figure
2-2.

some image here

Figure 5-9: ???? Physical Dimensions

You see how the cross-reference remains as "Figure 2-2", but the caption
updates as Figure 5-9.

What I would like to have happen is that both the cross-reference and
caption update to the correct placement in the new document; updated to
"Figure 5-9" and Figure 5-9 for the above example.

In this way, you could imagine the cross-reference and caption are "linked"
together in some way and are always updated correctly regardless of where
they are pasted to in another document.

I hope this explanation helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Cross-references depend on hidden bookmarks. If the pasted text does
not include the bookmark, the cross-reference won't work. What happens
if you make sure to copy the entire paragraph to the other document,
and then update the figure and cross-reference fields?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ron" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Another thing to consider: If the copied text includes a bookmark with
the same name as a bookmark in the target document, the bookmark will
be excluded in the paste. This may not be likely to happen with
autogenerated hidden bookmarks, but it can certainly happened with
user-defined bookmarks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ron" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ron Ron is offline

Stefan,

I rarely define bookmarks myself, so all the bookmarks are autogenerated.

I have made sure to copy all of the paragraph to the other document, but the
same thing always happens, the caption updates but the cross-reference
doesn't.

What seems to be happening is that Word "sees" there is an existing caption
at 2-2, so it doesn't want to update the newly inserted cross-reference. Of
course Word doesn't know that I want to move 2-2 from doc 1 to 5-9 in doc 2.
Sometimes I even need to shuffle my paragraphs around within the same
document, and I get the same problem.

I really need the self updating feature of captions and cross-references,
but I need them to be "smarter".

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a VB way around this, so the link between
the caption and cross-reference could be hard coded and self-updating,
regardless of the number of times it's inserted into a document, or moved
within a document.

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Before copying the cross-reference and the caption, try the following:
Place the cursor in the caption label. On the Insert menu, click
Bookmark. Check the "Hidden bookmarks" option. Click "Location." You
should now see the bookmark name. Write it down on a piece of paper.

Copy the caption and its cross-reference to the new document. Repeat
the above procedure to determine if the bookmark is still intact. If
it is, it should display the correct number and label, after an
update.

A question: When you "shuffle" your paragraphs around, how do you do
that?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP