Greg Pearson

Default Page Numbering - Insertion Pages

I'm trying to put together a revision to a document that includes new pages
inserted into the document. The original document was numbered Chapter-Page
(1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc.). The inserted pages need to be numbered as "point
pages" between the pages of the original document (1-1, 1-2, 1-2.1, 1-2.2,
1-3, etc.).

As far as I can tell, Word's page numbering system doesn't support this
numbering scheme (despite its being very common for technical publications).
I can add the page numbers to the headers of the point pages manually, but
this messes up the automatic Table of Contents and Index that Word creates,
since Word doesn't recognize my manually-entered page numbers. Not only are
items on the point pages not indexed correctly, but page numbers for
everything that appears after the point pages show incorrectly in the ToC and
Index (although the page numbers in the headers appear correct).

Does anybody know of a way to add this kind of page numbering or is Word
simply incapable of handling this?
Doug Robbins

As a person very much involved in the preparation of engineering
documentation, I would suggest that you do not do this. It may have been
common in the days before computers but these days it's becomes an
invitation for documents not to be kept up to date.

There are other ways of identifying what may have been added to the
documents.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Greg Pearson" Greg wrote in message
[...]

Charli

1. Click between two parts of your document that you want to number
differently.
2. On the Insert menu, click Break.
3. Click Next Page, Even Page, or Odd Page, and then click OK.
4. Click in the first section.
5. On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
6. Click in the header or footer where you want the page number.
7. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Insert Page Number.
8. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Format Page Number.
9. In the Number format box, click the format that you want for the numbers
in this section.
10. Do one of the following: €¢ If you want the page numbering for the first
page in this section to start at a particular number other than the first
number in the format series, click Start at under Page numbering, and then
enter the first number that you want to appear on the first page of the
section.
If you want the page numbering to continue from the previous section, click
Continue from previous section.
11. Click OK.
12. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Show Next.
13. Repeat steps 8 through 11 for the page numbering in this section.
14. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Close.

"Greg Pearson" wrote:

[...]

Greg Pearson

"Charli" wrote:

8. On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Format Page Number.
9. In the Number format box, click the format that you want for the numbers
in this section.

The problem is that #-#.# is not a supported numbering format. Format Page
Number only allows two distinct numbers and I need three (chapter, page, and
point page). That's the issue: How to use a page numbering format that Word
doesn't support without screwing up the ToC and Index.

As to changing the format, that's not an option. The engineering department
has been putting out this publication in this format on an annual basis since
the 1950s. They're not going to change it just because Word doesn't like it.
I'm more likely to convince the IT department to switch to Word Perfect than
I am to convince Engineering to change their page numbering scheme. Of
course, what will really happen is that we'll end up having to disable the
automatic ToC and Indexing features and enter all the page numbers by hand.
But it would be nice to find a way to avoid that, if we could.