Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Default Document map without ToC

Is there any way I can get the Document Map to show without listing the ToC
entries? It's pretty annoying seeing the same headings twice and 50% of the
time inadvertantly clicking on the ToC entry not the paragraph heading itself.

thanks
Robin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

TOC styles have body text paragraph outline levels and so should not be
caught by the document map. But the document map sometimes changes paragraph
outline levels based on the formatting used. Modifying the TOC styles
should get rid of TOC entries in the map.

Pam

Robin wrote:
Is there any way I can get the Document Map to show without listing the ToC
entries? It's pretty annoying seeing the same headings twice and 50% of the
time inadvertantly clicking on the ToC entry not the paragraph heading itself.

thanks
Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Pam I just don't get this. If I insert a ToC that is one of the standard ToCs
such as Classic, then the Map doesn't include it. When I insert a ToC where I
select "Format: From template" then the ToC is included in the Map. So I
tried to modify my ToC1, ToC2 and ToC3 styles, because that's what the ToC
includes, and no matter what I do it's still there in the Map unless I do
something drastic like set ToC1 to Normal. But that's not logical because I
want the ToC styles to be used. I can't see what specific property of the ToC
styles is forcing it's inclusion in the Map. I have removed numbering, but
basic things like Font type and style should not be the issue ???

Robin

Robin wrote:
Is there any way I can get the Document Map to show without listing the ToC
entries? It's pretty annoying seeing the same headings twice and 50% of the
time inadvertantly clicking on the ToC entry not the paragraph heading itself.

thanks
Robin

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Click the down arrow to the right of a TOC style name, then click modify
format paragraph. In the general section, make sure the outline level is
"Body Text". If you had to change the setting, then you may have fixed your
problem.

If not, then I may not understand the situation. Just to clarify, are the
headings in your text styled as Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.? When you select
the whole TOC, right click, and toggle the field codes do you see something
like this: {TOC \o 1-3 \h \z \u }?

Pam

Robin wrote:
Pam I just don't get this. If I insert a ToC that is one of the standard ToCs
such as Classic, then the Map doesn't include it. When I insert a ToC where I
select "Format: From template" then the ToC is included in the Map. So I
tried to modify my ToC1, ToC2 and ToC3 styles, because that's what the ToC
includes, and no matter what I do it's still there in the Map unless I do
something drastic like set ToC1 to Normal. But that's not logical because I
want the ToC styles to be used. I can't see what specific property of the ToC
styles is forcing it's inclusion in the Map. I have removed numbering, but
basic things like Font type and style should not be the issue ???

Robin

TOC styles have body text paragraph outline levels and so should not be
caught by the document map. But the document map sometimes changes paragraph

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
thanks
Robin