Dana

Default Paste formatted text from Word into Excel.

I would like to format text in Word, using color, underline, italics, etc.
and paste it into an Excel cell without having the format changed or removed.
I have turned off smart paste in Word, and was able to do it. However, the
next time I tried, all the formatting was removed. I cannot figure out what
was different between the two times. I do not want to paste as a Word
document object, because the characters need to be recognized at text.

I also sometimes have trouble pasting between two Word files. I want the
format to STAY THE SAME, not be changed by the program. This worked several
years ago in Word, but the bug introduced in the late 90's has not been
fixed. Do any of you know how to avoid this problem?
Anne Troy

It's not a bug at all, Dana.
For Excel to Word: I don't understand why you need things seen as text. If
that's the case, create the text in the Excel file, not in Word. Are you
pasting into a cell or into a textbox in Excel?
For Word to Word: Likely both documents are using the same style NAME with
different attributes. For instance, doc 1 has Heading 1 as bold and italic,
and doc 2 has it as green font. If you paste special--Unformatted, it'll
take on the destination formatting. See:

http://www.officearticles.com/word/p...oft_word.ht m

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Dana" wrote in message
I would like to format text in Word, using color, underline, italics, etc.
and paste it into an Excel cell without having the format changed or

removed.
I have turned off smart paste in Word, and was able to do it. However,

the
next time I tried, all the formatting was removed. I cannot figure out

what
was different between the two times. I do not want to paste as a Word
document object, because the characters need to be recognized at text.

I also sometimes have trouble pasting between two Word files. I want the
format to STAY THE SAME, not be changed by the program. This worked

several
years ago in Word, but the bug introduced in the late 90's has not been
fixed. Do any of you know how to avoid this problem?

Dana

The text needs to be handled in other programs as text, not as an image.

I am pasting into a cell, not a text box. This is sequence, so it is one
word made up of hundreds of letters.

I want to format the text in Word for the following reasons:
I have not been able to search for parts of the text in a cell, Excel just
finds the entire cell. I want to find strings of about 20 letters and
underline them.

I also can have features such as sequence variations annotated by the human
genome web sites using color, underlining and italics and I can put the
annotated text into word. I want to put the put the part I am using into
Excel with the features already marked.

I cannot count the number of characters in Excel, but can in Word.

Formatting part of the text in a cell is clunky in Excel, but formatting
part of a word is very easy in Word. The formatting choices are easier to
find and use in Word.

As for pasting unformatted in Word, I lose the subscripts, superscripts,
color, underlining. I want to paste FORMATTED. The BUG sometimes even
happens if both documents have the same font and size. If I paste a
combination of bold and notbold text, often the bolding is reversed, the non
bold becomes bold and the bold becomes regular text. Can I turn off the
styles? In most cases I am just using body text. Also, if I delete a
paragraph mark in Word, sometime the font and syyles are changed to match
neither document.