Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cgreat cgreat is offline

Default Onscreen Instructions

how can you type instructions onto a document that will only be seen on the
screen by the user, are not hidden text and will not print?
--
cgreat
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi cgreat,

To see how to do this, check out my Word Date Calculation Tutorial, at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=249902
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party
In particular, look at the item titled 'Show or hide instructions & graphics at print time'. Do read the document's introductory
material.

--
Cheers
macropod

"cgreat" wrote in message ...
how can you type instructions onto a document that will only be seen on the
screen by the user, are not hidden text and will not print?
--
cgreat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cgreat cgreat is offline

thank you for this - i tried it and it did work, but unfortunately it's not
quite what i'm after! i'm sure - 20-odd years ago and probably using a Mac -
i was able to use Comment in a word document to issue an instruction to the
document user, which wouldn't print. Comment's function today is totally
different - but it there any way of doing what I did years ago (or have i
just imagined it?!!)
--
cgreat

"cgreat" wrote in message ...
how can you type instructions onto a document that will only be seen on the
screen by the user, are not hidden text and will not print?
--
cgreat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi cgreat,

There is a way you can do this via hyperlinking:
1. bookmark a given word/phrase, for which you want to provide instructions
2. select the bookmarked range, then insert a hyperlink to it, with whatever 'help' text you want.
If you don't like the standard hyperlink formatting, you can change it to something else.

Alternatively, if you want some instructions that get deleted as soon as the user starts typing where the instructions appear, you
could use a MACROBUTTON field coded along the lines of:
{MACROBUTTON NoMacro Please type here}
where the field brace pair (ie '{ }') is created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod