Frank Drost

Default Positioning a frame

I have all my figures and captions together in a frame. This way I can make
sure that they will stay together. The problem that I do get now though is
that I can't place the frame where I want it.
If my frame is e.g. the size of half a page, and the text on the page where
I want to put the frame is one long continuous story, without any paragraph
breaks, I can't just paste the frame within that paragraph. When I do that,
it is automatically shifted down the document to a place where there is
enough space to put it. How can I force the frame to be on a page, within a
paragraph, and stay there? Anchor it doesn't seem to work either.

ta

Shauna Kelly

Hi Frank

Set up the frame as follows:

- Text wrapping: None, or Around, depending on your needs (but start with
"Around")

- Width: Exactly, and set your width

- Height: Exactly, and set your height

- Horizontal Position: Choose Left (or enter a measurement) relative to the
Margin

- Vertical Position: Enter a measurement and choose relative to the
Paragraph (so if your paragraph was, say, 20cm long, and your frame is 8cm
high, then choose something like 6cm to get the frame centred roughly
vertically within the paragraph)

- Tick Move with Text

- Tick or don't tick Lock Anchor as you choose (all this does is prevent you
from dragging the anchor shown in Print Layout). Remember that a frame is
always anchored to a paragraph. Whether you can see the anchor depends on
your setting at Tools Options View.

Don't forget that, for the two "position" boxes, you can choose from the
drop down list, or you can enter a measurement in the units of your choice.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Frank Drost" wrote in message
I have all my figures and captions together in a frame. This way I can make
sure that they will stay together. The problem that I do get now though is
that I can't place the frame where I want it.
If my frame is e.g. the size of half a page, and the text on the page
where
I want to put the frame is one long continuous story, without any
paragraph
breaks, I can't just paste the frame within that paragraph. When I do
that,
it is automatically shifted down the document to a place where there is
enough space to put it. How can I force the frame to be on a page, within
paragraph, and stay there? Anchor it doesn't seem to work either.

ta

Anne Troy

Perhaps not an answer for you, Frank, but here's what I do... I make all my
graphics In Line With Text. I create a style called Graphic, and I make it
"Keep with Next". That way it doesn't lose its caption. Frames, from what I
can see, are just a holdover from older versions of Word. I could be wrong
and the MVPs might jump all over me. The last document I saw that had a
bunch of frames in it---well, the reason I even saw it was to de-corrupt it.
When I used the Word 2003 repair on it, it reported a whole bunch of frames
as the culprit. Again--I could be wrong...
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Frank Drost" wrote in message
I have all my figures and captions together in a frame. This way I can

make
sure that they will stay together. The problem that I do get now though is
that I can't place the frame where I want it.
If my frame is e.g. the size of half a page, and the text on the page

where
I want to put the frame is one long continuous story, without any

paragraph
breaks, I can't just paste the frame within that paragraph. When I do

that,
it is automatically shifted down the document to a place where there is
enough space to put it. How can I force the frame to be on a page, within

paragraph, and stay there? Anchor it doesn't seem to work either.

ta

Frank Drost

Hi Shauna,

Thanks for your reply. I think it is the way to do it, but I still have a
problem. The paragraph I want to link the frame to is over 2 pages, and its
total length (height) is about 9 cm. It is already "bisected" by another
frame from the previous paragraph, and that frame was set to be placed at the
bottom of the margin. My frame itself is 16.7cm long. There is not enough
space at the endof this paragraph to put the frame, since the bottom 2.5cm
(above the page number) is used by a footnote. So, the frame is automatically
put on the next page. There is a large blank space on the page where I want
to put the frame. There is easily enough space for the frame on that page, IF
the frame just wants to sit within the paragraph. But no matter what height
settings I give it, it just doesn't want to go in the paragraph.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

ta

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Removing a frame from a table DianeRTLaw Tables 1 June 15th 05 02:56 PM
how do i stop word opening with a frame that i have to delete. beachlover Microsoft Word Help 3 May 19th 05 12:30 PM
Text style in frame outside of margin bakerbiz Microsoft Word Help 4 May 9th 05 02:45 PM
formating image captios Jeff New Users 7 April 29th 05 12:49 AM
Moving the Frame box cindy Microsoft Word Help 3 December 3rd 04 01:04 AM