Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Param

Default Link Excel to Word Mail Merge - found problem for mix data type

Hi, I have data in excel e.g.

59
45
67
-
78
90

actually this is my students marks. simbol - show they absent for the paper.
I use it to mail merge using word. but it show:

59
45
67

78
90

Q: any way to display both type of data?

TQ
Param

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Again, you can try switching to the DDE method of connecting to Excel, as
described in my earlier reply. Instead, you /may/ find that changing the
format of the cells in this column in Excel to "Text" changes things, but
generally speaking when you connect using the default method (OLEDB), the
provider tries to determine what type of data is in the column depending on
what is in the first few rows (8 or 25, I think). If it finds lots of
non-numeric items near the top, it will probably treat the column as text.
If it finds mostly numbers near the top, it will probably treat it as
numeric and change non-numeric values to 0 or blank. If you do not have too
many columns (max. about 63) you could also consider cutting/pasting your
Excel sheet into a Word document and using that as your merge data source.

Peter Jamieson

"Param" wrote in message
Hi, I have data in excel e.g.

59
45
67
-
78
90

actually this is my students marks. simbol - show they absent for the
paper.
I use it to mail merge using word. but it show:

59
45
67

78
90

Q: any way to display both type of data?

TQ
Param

Mail Merge Word 2003 Issue S.Nicks Mailmerge 5 February 20th 09 02:55 AM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 11:29 PM
Why can't I see the excel data in the Word mail merge for labels Tracy Visher Mailmerge 1 December 8th 05 07:57 PM
Word 2002 cannot find its Excel data source for mail merge harryedwards Mailmerge 5 November 23rd 05 12:09 PM