WORD '07 BUG: COMPATIBILITY MODE FOR NEW DOCUMENTS

Old July 7th 07, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad

Default WORD '07 BUG: COMPATIBILITY MODE FOR NEW DOCUMENTS

According to the O2k7 Resource kit (specific page link below), if you set
your default save format to the 97-2003 formats, when you create a new
document in Word, it should automatically open the blank document in
[Compatibility Mode]. I've tried two completely different installations (one
at work with one set of media, and another at home with a different set of
media), and this isn't the case. I have to first save the new blank document
before [Compatibility Mode] kicks-in.

Excel and PowerPoint behave as described in the res. kit. New workbooks and
presentations open up automatically in compatibility mode if you've set the
default format to the 97-2003 formats.

Link to page in Resource Kit:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Office...3.mspx?pf=true

Old July 7th 07, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

PHULEEZE don't post the same question to multiple groups!

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
MOS Certified Instructor, Editor/TechTrax Ezine
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman

Free PC Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

Old July 8th 07, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad

PUHLEEZE get someone within Microsoft to acknowledge the problem and either
give me a solution, or a timeframe when I can expect one.

Old July 8th 07, 06:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you want help from Microsoft then you need to approach Microsoft who will
be happy to take your money. This is a user peer group. No-one here works
for Microsoft..

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old July 8th 07, 09:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

As I've said elsewhere, Compatibility mode isn't really very useful and most
people think there are more important issues in need of attention in Word
2007. At best, your problem is a very minor one and, although I can't speak
for Microsoft, I doubt you will get what you consider a satisfactory
resolution even if you pay for it; I would think that the best you could
expect would be a change to the web page so that it tells you what you
already know.

What benefit were you hoping to get out of this?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Old July 8th 07, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad

Thanks for your response, and you're right... for one person, especially an
experienced user, it's minor

But multiply it by the 20,000+ not-so-experienced users we have to roll this
out to. Then it's not so minor.

The users will have to be trained that 1) getting into compatibility mode
for new docs in Word is different than Excel and PowerPoint (source of
confusion) 2) they need to immediately save a new document in Word before
editing it (awkward) -or- try to remember what features are not 100% feature
refresh (there's a long list) -or- try to explain the gruesome details of
handling the compatibility prompts when they do finally save the document.

Call me crazy, but I think user experience for our users is important, and a
lot of confusion can be avoided if Microsoft could just make their software
behave like it's described in their resource kit.

The benefit I'm hoping for is this: EVIDENCE. Unless I can demonstrate to
our Microsoft TAM that this issue is a problem with the software, and not
with something we're doing wrong with our installation of it, they will
charge us money to open a "ticket".

So I try to gather information from various sources (including discussion
groups) as 'evidence'.

Thanks again Tony, I appreciate it!

Old July 8th 07, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad

Yes, our Office 2003 users have the compatibility pack installed.

How will this help me with the behavior of how/when Word 2007 kicks into
compatibility mode for newly created documents?

Old July 8th 07, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
funnybroad

Unfortunately, that's what I'm trying to do... avoid giving Microsoft more
money from my company. My boss wouldn't be real happy if I made him pay to
get the status of a bug/issue with Word 2007 that we didn't cause ourselves.

Also, I've posted this and numerous other questions on Microsoft's "Managed
Newsgroup", because we have 'software assurance', and although they state on
their main page: "A commitment to respond to your post by the next business
day (English only)." , I've discovered that 'commitment' doesn't necessarily
mean "guarantee".

At the end of the day, I'd be satisfied if Microsoft would just say, "Yes,
we acknowledge the inconsistency, and we're not going to fix it in the
foreseeable future"

That way, I can report that back to my managers, work around it, and move on
with our rollout to 20,000 users.

By the way, do you observe the same behavior with your installation of Word
2007?